Wikipedia phenomenon: converging topics to philosophy

In summary: I don't know if that's entirely correct. It seems to me the people rather than the rules. Goes both ways...
Q-1
There's a phenomenon over at Wikipedia. Namely, all or most (?) topics converge to "philosophy". Is there a name or some kind of coherent explanation for this phenomenon? Is it just simply the case that most branches of science originated from philosophy, and this is apparent in how Wikipedia works or any encyclopedia for the matter?

Quora provides an answer to this question:

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Wiki...in-each-article-not-in-parantheses-or-italics

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Q-1 said:
There's a phenomenon over at Wikipedia. Namely, all or most (?) topics converge to "philosophy". Is there a name or some kind of coherent explanation for this phenomenon? Is it just simply the case that most branches of science originated from philosophy, and this is apparent in how Wikipedia works or any encyclopedia for the matter?

Quora provides an answer to this question:

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Wiki...in-each-article-not-in-parantheses-or-italics

Thoughts?

Interesting article but not rigorous. The assumption that linked searches devolve to philosophy makes sense for a comprehensive encyclopedia. Following cross links to arrive at specific information while tedious for the focused searcher, benefits the 'knowledge lover' (philosopher).

For example, yesterday I sampled Wikipedia to obtain the description of a Mersenne prime number. Found rules and formulae to the effect "add 1 to the prime number and determine if the resulting sum is a power of 2." Later followed links to Marin Mersenne's biography and his many contributions to science and math. Appears as if Mersenne and fellow scholars designed the classical curriculum of the college I first attended (Greek and Hebrew had been dropped from undergrad courses just the year before though Latin was still taught.). Irrelevant to original query but broadening.

Likes Auto-Didact
I think it has something to do with the too much information and opinion available simultaneously on the internet. What is real and what is fake: what is valid - things gets blurred and needs some patching up => straight way to philosophy.

Even here it is common to have some 'weekly metaphysics'.

Likes Auto-Didact and Klystron
In other words, they are saying "philosophy" is the DEAD END, go back to other searches if you want actual information. :oldlaugh: And no, we're not going to get into a discussion of Philosophy. :oldsurprised:

Likes russ_watters, Rive, Q-1 and 1 other person
Rive said:
I think it has something to do with the too much information and opinion available simultaneously on the internet.

Basically, I wonder if this phenomenon would hold true for any other encyclopedia. I mean, if one were not biased in constructing said encyclopedia as to censor or eliminate all references to "philosophy".

What are your or other thoughts about this?

Evo said:
In other words, they are saying "philosophy" is the DEAD END, go back to other searches if you want actual information. :oldlaugh: And no, we're not going to get into a discussion of Philosophy. :oldsurprised:

I agree and think this site maintains a perfect equilibrium between such topics. I know the moderators strive very hard here to eliminate "philosophy" from discussions here. But, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that philosophy can be appreciated for its reservoir of thoughts and content for those who are especially inquisitive. After all, to generalize, most topics originate from such existential questions...

If I recall correctly, we even had a philosophy sub-category on this site, which you moderated; but, most topics were of poor quality. I like to participate in online reading groups of philosophers on other forums, which kind of guides the discussion instead of devolving into opinions and feelings about topics, which is all too common.

I'm still grappling with trying to post topics that don't delve too deeply into these philosophical questions, where an infinite amount of "why's" can pop up and lead to the philosophical questions. I guess the only way to do that is through adherence to some standards of inquiry or "criteria".

Likes Evo
Q-1 said:
reservoir of thoughts
You asked about my other thoughts. What makes 'science' is not the amount of raw thoughts available, but the type of the filter (reality and math, as it is: the requirement that it must work... Occam's razor and so on) what thins out that reservoir to be science. However, on the internet everything is available, simultaneously. It really become an uncontrolled reservoir. It became 'philosophy' in its worst, without thinning.

Wikipedia is not a scientific, but a community project.

Rive said:
Wikipedia is not a scientific, but a community project.

Agreed. But, there's no real alternative to it yet. It seems like the best we got and might as well go along with it.

Perhaps you're talking exclusively about stipulative definitions here?

Q-1 said:
I agree and think this site maintains a perfect equilibrium between such topics. ..[snip!]...
through adherence to some standards of inquiry or "criteria".

The published forum rules for posting apply reasonable standards IMO.

Likes fresh_42
Klystron said:
The published forum rules for posting apply reasonable standards IMO.

I don't know if that's entirely correct. It seems to me the people rather than the rules. Goes both ways I suppose. I don't know how to quantify the forum dynamics; but, the rules are certainly important.

Likes Klystron
Q-1 said:
I don't know if that's entirely correct. It seems to me the people rather than the rules. Goes both ways I suppose. I don't know how to quantify the forum dynamics; but, the rules are certainly important.

Correct. I should change "apply" to "provide". Thanks.

"Forum rules provide reasonable standards for the community".

Q-1 said:
...[snip]...
What are your or other thoughts about this?

I tend to follow embedded links in online encyclopedia, often to define terms used in the main article. I also tend to follow historical and biographical links time permitting. Unlike the authors of the posted study, I do not find following links inevitably devolves to "philosophy" though circular linked lists seem common. Depending on initial search criteria and the categories connected to the search terms, could this effect be caused by selection bias at each link?

Just the ambiguity of the meaning of strings used to search coupled with word connotations could allow searcher bias to influence results. My own example of reading Mersenne's bio after looking up how to determine if a prime number is a Mersenne prime, reflects my interests. I could have followed links to minim philosophy mentioned in the biography.

1. What is the "Wikipedia phenomenon"?

The "Wikipedia phenomenon" refers to the observation that most articles on Wikipedia, regardless of their initial topic, eventually lead to the philosophical concept of "philosophy". This was first discovered and documented in a blog post by a programmer named Mark Dominus in 2008.

2. How does the "Wikipedia phenomenon" occur?

The "Wikipedia phenomenon" occurs due to the structure and interconnectedness of Wikipedia articles. Every Wikipedia article contains hyperlinks to other articles, and these links tend to lead to more general or abstract topics. Eventually, this chain of links leads to the broad and fundamental concepts of philosophy.

3. Is the "Wikipedia phenomenon" a deliberate design by Wikipedia?

No, the "Wikipedia phenomenon" is not a deliberate design by Wikipedia. It is simply a result of the nature of the platform and the way articles are written and linked to each other. However, the Wikipedia community has embraced this phenomenon and even created a game called "The Philosophy Game" to see how quickly one can reach the philosophy article from any other article.

4. Is the "Wikipedia phenomenon" a universal occurrence?

No, the "Wikipedia phenomenon" has been observed in most languages of Wikipedia, but there are exceptions. For example, the Turkish and Hungarian versions of Wikipedia have been found to lead to the article on "mathematics" instead of "philosophy". This may be due to cultural differences and the topics that are more commonly linked to in those languages.

5. What does the "Wikipedia phenomenon" reveal about human knowledge and understanding?

The "Wikipedia phenomenon" can be seen as a reflection of the interconnectedness of human knowledge and understanding. It shows that, no matter how specific or niche a topic may seem, it is ultimately connected to broader and more abstract concepts. It also highlights the importance of philosophy as a fundamental and universal subject that underlies many other areas of knowledge.