Will an Air Conditioner made in Korea work where I live?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of using a Korean air conditioner in a different country and the potential differences in design and compliance approvals. The speaker also mentions the use of translation websites and the requirements for selling into the EU. Ultimately, the speaker decides not to go through with the transaction due to the complexities involved.
Cobul
Hi,
A Korean friend owns me money and plans to pay partial with his airconditioner.
But the aircon model came from Korea.

korean spec.jpg

I just want to know if an air conditioner like Carrier of a specific model made in different countries have the same design, or do they have separate say Korean design, or American design, or UK design matching the language? Or do they just change the language in the label? What is commonly done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Where do you live? What is your electrical service like? It looks like this unit needs 220Vrms at 60Hz, with at least a 50A feed (from the 10,000W number). Do you have that?

Beyond that, units will have safety and EMC compliance approvals based on the countries they are sold into. You would have to do some research to figure out if this unit has approvals appropriate for your country. For example, for the EU it would need a "CE" Mark approval, which I don't see on the label that you show.

Likes russ_watters and Lnewqban
translate.google.com will handle almost all languages. But does it, or another site, accept photos of the glyphs such as the ones on your Korean nameplate?

It's ok. I'd no longer get the aircon from the Korean. He paid me money already.

• Love
Likes berkeman and Tom.G
I'm curious: I know that a CE mark is required to sell into the EU. Is it also required for what would amount to imported personal property?

1. Will an Air Conditioner made in Korea work in any country?

Yes, an Air Conditioner made in Korea is designed to work in different countries with different climates. It is built to withstand a wide range of temperatures and humidity levels.

2. Do I need to use a voltage converter for a Korean Air Conditioner?

It depends on the voltage requirements of the country where you live. Most Korean Air Conditioners are designed to work with 220-240V, so if your country uses the same voltage, then you do not need a converter. However, if your country uses a different voltage, you will need a converter to ensure the proper functioning of the Air Conditioner.

3. Can I use the same refrigerant for a Korean Air Conditioner in my country?

Yes, most Korean Air Conditioners use R-410A refrigerant, which is a common refrigerant used in many countries. However, it is always best to check with a professional to ensure compatibility with your country's regulations and standards.

4. Will I need to make any modifications for a Korean Air Conditioner to work in my country?

In most cases, no modifications are necessary. However, it is always best to consult with a professional to ensure proper installation and functioning of the Air Conditioner in your specific location.

5. Are there any specific Korean Air Conditioner models that are recommended for use in different countries?

While there may be some models that are better suited for certain climates or regions, most Korean Air Conditioners are designed to work in a variety of locations. It is important to consider factors such as size, energy efficiency, and features when choosing the best Air Conditioner for your specific needs.