Will I be able to get anything out of you guys this time around?

• Thread starter riseofphoenix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the sport of skateboarding showcases the principle of Conservation of Energy through 'vert skateboarding' where a rider goes down a vertical ramp without friction. The rider starts from rest, crouches to increase speed, and remains upright to keep their center of mass unchanged. The problem can be simplified by using the foot as a unit length instead of meters.
riseofphoenix
The sport of skateboarding provides an excellent example of the principle of Conservation of Energy. In particular, let us consider 'vert skateboarding' where a person rides the skateboard on a vertical ramp that forms part of a hemisphere referred to as a 'half-pipe.' It consists of the transition from the curved part to the flat and the vertical. Below is a schematic of a half-pipe with the 'vert'. The surface of the half-pipe and the material of the wheels on the skateboard allow for an almost frictionless ride. Therefore we will neglect friction in the following analysis.
8-post-006a.gif

The rider starts from rest at location at the edge of the in-ramp and goes down the transition. Typically, as the rider approaches the flat at location he will crouch down to get his center of mass as low as possible and thus increase his speed. To simplify the problem, let us initially assume that the rider stays upright as he goes down so that his center of mass location relative to his feet does not change from what it was at location . In the following problems, you can use the foot as the unit length instead of meters. Note: g = 32 ft/s2.

Solved!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Although I didn't quite understand from reading the problem what a "vert" is supposed to be, I don't think that it adds to his height. He is at a height of h initially, and then that decreases to 0. That's it. Try it without the "vert."

For some reason, the problem statement in your original post is in a colour very similar to the background colour on the forums, making it hard to read.

Ohhh nvm i got the whole thing!
Thanks!

Last edited:

I am happy to provide a response to your question. Based on the principles of Conservation of Energy, it is possible to get a lot out of vert skateboarding. The sport involves the use of a half-pipe, which allows for an almost frictionless ride due to the surface of the ramp and the material of the wheels on the skateboard. This means that the rider can conserve their energy and maintain their speed throughout the ride.

When the rider starts at rest at the edge of the in-ramp, they have an initial potential energy due to their position on the ramp. As they go down the transition, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, giving them the speed to continue down the ramp. The rider can also increase their speed by crouching down to lower their center of mass, thus reducing their potential energy and increasing their kinetic energy.

To simplify the problem, we can assume that the rider stays upright throughout the ride, maintaining their center of mass relative to their feet. This allows us to neglect the effects of friction, making the analysis more straightforward. In this case, the rider's energy will be conserved, and they will be able to get a lot out of their ride.

In conclusion, vert skateboarding is an excellent example of the principle of Conservation of Energy. By understanding the energy transformations that occur during the ride, riders can effectively use their energy to maintain their speed and perform impressive tricks. So yes, you can get a lot out of vert skateboarding, as long as you understand and utilize the principles of energy conservation.

What kind of information can I expect to get from you this time?

As a scientist, my goal is to provide you with accurate and reliable information based on scientific evidence. I will do my best to answer any questions you may have and share my findings with you.

How do you plan on conducting your research and experiments?

I will follow the scientific method, which includes formulating a hypothesis, designing experiments, collecting data, and analyzing the results. I will also ensure that my methods are ethical and follow safety protocols.

Will the information you provide be biased?

No, my research and experiments will be conducted objectively and without bias. I will use multiple sources and peer-reviewed studies to support my findings.

What are your qualifications and experience in this field?

I have a degree in a scientific field and have been conducting research for several years. I have also published my findings in reputable scientific journals and have presented at conferences.

Can I trust the information you provide?

Yes, as a scientist, I value the importance of accurate and reliable information. I will provide you with evidence-based information and will clearly state any limitations or uncertainties in my findings.