1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will I be able to get anything out of you guys this time around?

1. Oct 25, 2012 #1
    The sport of skateboarding provides an excellent example of the principle of Conservation of Energy. In particular, let us consider 'vert skateboarding' where a person rides the skateboard on a vertical ramp that forms part of a hemisphere referred to as a 'half-pipe.' It consists of the transition from the curved part to the flat and the vertical. Below is a schematic of a half-pipe with the 'vert'. The surface of the half-pipe and the material of the wheels on the skateboard allow for an almost frictionless ride. Therefore we will neglect friction in the following analysis.
    8-post-006a.gif

The rider starts from rest at location at the edge of the in-ramp and goes down the transition. Typically, as the rider approaches the flat at location he will crouch down to get his center of mass as low as possible and thus increase his speed. To simplify the problem, let us initially assume that the rider stays upright as he goes down so that his center of mass location relative to his feet does not change from what it was at location . In the following problems, you can use the foot as the unit length instead of meters. Note: g = 32 ft/s2.

Solved!!!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Although I didn't quite understand from reading the problem what a "vert" is supposed to be, I don't think that it adds to his height. He is at a height of h initially, and then that decreases to 0. That's it. Try it without the "vert."

For some reason, the problem statement in your original post is in a colour very similar to the background colour on the forums, making it hard to read.

4. Oct 25, 2012 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 25, 2012 #4
    Ohhh nvm i got the whole thing!
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook