Is There a Mistake in Goldstein's Mechanics on Cos Theta Definition?

In summary, the speaker is using the third edition of Goldstein to learn mechanics and believes they have found an error in the book. They checked Professor Safko's site for corrections, but did not find the error mentioned. They are also unsure of which printing of the book they have. The issue is with the definition of cos theta in the book, which the speaker believes should be z/a instead of x/z. They ask for clarification on this and confirm that the calculation afterwards aligns with their thinking. The error is confirmed and the speaker thanks the other person for helping them understand.
mjordan2nd
Hello,

I have the third edition of Goldstein which I have been using to learn mechanics. I believe I have found an error in the book, however normally when I feel such things I tend to either be misreading the situation or misunderstanding the concept. I checked Professor Safko's site on Goldstein corrections but it made no mention of the error I believe I caught. Also, I am not sure what printing of the edition I have. The method for ascertaining the printing edition on the professor's site does not seem to apply to the book I have, but again it is possible that I am missing something obvious. However, since Professor Safko's site was last updated in 2010, and I very recently bought the book, I thought perhaps I have a more recent printing than those presented on Dr. Safko's site.

That said, here's the issue. Beginning on pg. 47 in my book, the first two paragraphs state:

As an example, consider a smooth solid hemisphere of radius a placed with its flat side down and fastened to the Earth whose gravitational acceleration is g. Place a small mass M at the top of the hemisphere with an infinitesimal displacement off center so the mass slides down without friction. Choose coordinates x, y, z centered on the base of the hemisphere with z vertical and the x-z plane containing the initial motion of the mass.

Let [itex]\theta[/itex] be the angle from the top of the sphere to the mass. The Lagrangian is [itex]L = \frac{1}{2}M(\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2 + \dot{z}^2)-mgz[/itex]. The initial condition allows us to ignore the y coordinate, so the constraint is [itex]a-\sqrt{x^2-z^2}=0[/itex]. Expressing the problem in terms of [itex]r^2=x^2+z^2[/itex] and [itex]x/z = cos \theta[/itex], Lagrange's equations are . . . . .

My objection to this is the book's definition of cos theta. It appears to me that based on what has been written cos theta should be z/a. Am I wrong in this? I don't think so, because the calculation directly following this seems to coincide with the way I'm thinking about it. Please let me know if I'm off base here.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
##cos(\theta)=\frac{z}{a}##, indeed.
Probably some weird typo, if the calculation afterwards is correct.

mjordan2nd said:
My objection to this is the book's definition of cos theta. It appears to me that based on what has been written cos theta should be z/a. Am I wrong in this? I don't think so, because the calculation directly following this seems to coincide with the way I'm thinking about it. Please let me know if I'm off base here.
Not only is [itex]\cos\theta \ne x/z[/itex] but [itex]a - \sqrt{x^2-z^2} \ne 0[/itex]. In fact [itex]\sqrt{x^2-z^2}[/itex] is not real for [itex]\theta<\pi/4[/itex]

AM

Thanks, that clears things up for me.

Also, the - in the square root was my fault. It should have read +.

Dear reader,

Thank you for bringing this potential error to my attention. I always encourage critical thinking and questioning of information, including textbooks. After reviewing the passage you mentioned, I agree with your observation that the book's definition of cos theta should be z/a, rather than x/z. This is because the angle theta is defined as the angle between the top of the hemisphere and the mass, which would be z/a in this scenario.

It is possible that this is a printing error, as you mentioned the book's publication date and the potential for a more recent printing. I suggest contacting the publisher or the author to confirm this and possibly request a correction in future editions. In the meantime, I would suggest using z/a as the correct definition for cos theta in this problem.

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention. I hope this helps clarify any confusion and promotes a deeper understanding of the material. Keep up the critical thinking!

Best,

Related to Is There a Mistake in Goldstein's Mechanics on Cos Theta Definition?

1. What are the main causes of error in Goldstein 3rd Ed?

The main causes of error in Goldstein 3rd Ed include human error, equipment malfunction, and incorrect data analysis techniques.

2. How can I reduce error in my experiments based on Goldstein 3rd Ed?

You can reduce error in your experiments by carefully calibrating equipment, using multiple trials, and properly documenting all steps and data.

3. Are there any common types of error described in Goldstein 3rd Ed?

Yes, some common types of error described in Goldstein 3rd Ed include random error, systematic error, and measurement error.

4. Is it possible to completely eliminate error in scientific experiments?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate error in scientific experiments as there will always be some degree of uncertainty and variation in measurements.

5. How can I identify and distinguish between different types of error in my experiments?

You can identify and distinguish between different types of error by carefully analyzing your experimental design, data, and results. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in your field.