Will I succeed as a mathematician?

In summary, the person is worried about their natural ability in math as they have had good grades in high school but feel they are not naturally skilled. They are self-studying using a university textbook and are seeking advice on how to succeed as a mathematician. The responder suggests doing more research on what it takes to be a mathematician and practicing proofs to gain confidence. They also recommend using resources specifically focused on learning proofs to get a head start. Overall, the responder believes that with hard work and dedication, anyone has the potential to do well in math.
airbusman
Sorry if this thread has already been posted...but I'm very worried about this.

I don't have a lot of "natural" mathematical prowess, but I'm a REALLY hard worker, and that resulted in a lot of good grades in high school. In IB SL math, my predicted mark was a 96, and during midterms for gr11 IB physics, I was at a 93 I think.

I'm not THAT good at proofs, but I think, with hard work, I'll be able to do well in them. Like I said though, I have no natural mathematical skills. I'm just a really hard worker.

I'm self-studying from my brother's first-year uni text (calculus: early transcedentals, 7th edition), and I do understand a lot of it. Most of the early chapters are review from my math course.

How would I be able to do well as a mathematician? Would it be absolutely necessary for me to have natural talent, or will I be able to get by in uni with hard work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing in your post stands out that would instantly disqualify you. I would say, don't ask. Just take your math courses and see what happens.

I think you are worrying too much about the wrong things. In the long run, your high school marks will likely have no bearing on your performance or "abilility" to be a mathematician.

Maybe one thing you can do is look more into what it is to be a mathematician. Do a little research, find more information, maybe talk with a university advisor. They might have some useful information. If you are nervous about proofs, that is okay. Most people entering math will be fairly unfamiliar with them.

Learning a little symbolic logic might help you get more confidence with this, or going through some elementary proofs. It took me a little bit of time to get comfortable with proofs (I only switched into mathematics my 2nd year), the thing that helped the most was just doing proofs myself. The book you are reading might not be the right choice for this. When your courses come along, just work hard at them and you have the potential to do well, as does anyone. If you want a head start what might help more is 'learning proof' resources. Some profs put these up on their course webpages, and there are also several books available

1. What skills do I need to succeed as a mathematician?

To succeed as a mathematician, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and theories. You should also have good critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and be able to work well with numbers and equations.

2. Is it necessary to have a degree in mathematics to succeed as a mathematician?

While a degree in mathematics can provide a strong foundation for a career as a mathematician, it is not always necessary. Many successful mathematicians have backgrounds in fields such as physics, engineering, or computer science. However, having a degree in mathematics can open up more opportunities and make it easier to pursue a career in this field.

3. Can I succeed as a mathematician if I struggle with advanced math concepts?

Mathematics is a challenging field, and it is normal to struggle with some concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, you can still succeed as a mathematician. It is important to seek help when needed and to continuously practice and improve your skills.

4. Are there job opportunities for mathematicians?

Yes, there are many job opportunities for mathematicians in various industries such as finance, technology, research, and education. Mathematicians are in high demand for their problem-solving and analytical skills, and their ability to work with data and make informed decisions.

5. How can I increase my chances of success as a mathematician?

To increase your chances of success as a mathematician, it is important to continuously learn and stay updated on new developments in the field. Networking with other mathematicians and professionals in related fields can also open up opportunities and help you stay current. Additionally, gaining practical experience through internships or research projects can also be beneficial.