• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Would I become a mathematician if I finished this textbook?

Main Question or Discussion Point

question:
would I become mathematician if I read and worked exercises of
INTRODUCTORY FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS WITH APPLICATIONS
(Erwin Kreyszig)
?
information:
I have been studying mathematics at my own, I am now probing which direction to go.

suggestion needed:
Please tell me any graduate level pure math book so I can make my self miserable for few month to see where I stand.

Thank you.

Answers and Replies

question:
would I become mathematician if I read and worked exercises of
INTRODUCTORY FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS WITH APPLICATIONS
(Erwin Kreyszig)
?
Well, that would be very admirable. But how would you know your answers are correct?

information:
I have been studying mathematics at my own, I am now probing which direction to go.

suggestion needed:
Please tell me any graduate level pure math book so I can make my self miserable for few month to see where I stand.

Thank you.
University and grad school in particular has the misery you seek. Any chance of that?

By working solo, one might consider oneself an amateur mathematician. That is simply a person who loves (but is perhaps not credentialed) the subject.

-Dave K

Well, that would be very admirable. But how would you know your answers are correct?
I don't know..

So far my path has been like this:
if I am doing asthmatic right I know number reasonably ok.
if I am doing calculus that means my trig/limit and stuff is ok-ish
if I am doing analytic functions that means my complex no. are ok-ish
if I am doing ODEs that means my calculus is ok-ish
if I am doing norm space etc that means my linear space is ok-ish

University and grad school in particular has the misery you seek. Any chance of that?

By working solo, one might consider oneself an amateur mathematician. That is simply a person who loves (but is perhaps not credentialed) the subject.

-Dave K
I have not studied math after grad 10, I will see If I can work some thing.. GRE or some thing.. with long distance edu.

Thanks for your reply!!