Will My Transfer Credits Affect My Job Prospects as a Physics Graduate?

• Thread starter ziggybenji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on the hiring process for recent graduates and the possibility of obtaining a position. They have a healthy GPA in their current physics program but had subpar grades in a previous unrelated degree. They have transfer units on their current transcript from a previous university, but it is not attached to letter grades. They are concerned about the possibility of the company asking for their previous transcripts, but it is suggested to provide the latest transcripts and not worry unless asked. It is also mentioned that recruiters typically only look at GPA.
ziggybenji
Hey guys, I was hoping to pick at the brains of those who are involved with the hiring process of recent graduates and/or are in the process of trying to obtain positions.

To make it short, I have about 2 years left before I graduate with my degree in physics. I have a healthy GPA so far, 3.6 to be exact and I enjoy the program a lot. I have a degree from another university which I received 5 years ago, but it is not related to physics in anyway shape or form.

Problem is, my grades really were sub par from that university and my transcripts look pretty gross from said university. I had some units transfer from that university over to my current college where I am studying physics now. It is kind of nice because the university has a practice of transferring the classes over but not attaching a letter grade to them, so basically I am awarded credit and escape taking a lot of the common core stuff over again, without it hurting my GPA. So, I essentially start off on a clean slate in that sense.

I am not going to ask about grad school because I already know the answer. They will want transcripts from every university attended. However, I think I may have my foot in the door with a certain company in the form of an internship that will then transfer over to full time employment upon graduation. I guess you can chalk it up to me being a worry wort, but what are the chances that the company will see that I have transfer units on my current transcripts from another university and then ask to see those transcripts as well? Thanks for any input in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's seems a tricky situation. I would provide the latest transcripts and wouldn't worry until they ask if they do. My feeling is they won't since your current grades are good and it's an internship. If it turns into a full time position it's because you did well as an intern so you'd have good grades and a good internship on your side and then these older grades won't matter so much.

I'm a physics senior who had just interned at a global consulting firm. They only asked for my transcript after I passed the job interview. Recruiters only look at your GPA, so I wouldn't worry too much about my transcript.

Related to Will My Transfer Credits Affect My Job Prospects as a Physics Graduate?

1. What is a college transcript?

A college transcript is an official document that lists all the courses a student has taken, grades received, and credits earned during their time at a specific college or university. It serves as a record of a student's academic performance and is often required for graduate school applications, job applications, and other educational pursuits.

2. How do I obtain a copy of my college transcript?

In most cases, you can request a copy of your college transcript directly from the registrar's office of your college or university. Many institutions also offer the option to request transcripts online through their website. You may need to provide personal information, such as your student ID number and a valid form of identification, to verify your identity and access your transcript.

3. Are college transcripts the same as a diploma?

No, a college transcript and a diploma are two different documents. A diploma is a certificate given to students upon completion of their degree program, while a college transcript provides a detailed record of a student's academic performance during their time at the institution. Both may be required for different purposes, such as applying for jobs or graduate school.

4. Can I request a copy of my transcript if I owe the college money?

It depends on the policies of your specific college or university. Some institutions may hold transcripts if there are outstanding financial obligations, while others may provide transcripts regardless of any outstanding balances. It is best to check with your registrar's office to determine their policies regarding transcripts and outstanding debts.

5. How long does it take to receive a copy of my college transcript?

The timeline for receiving a copy of your college transcript can vary depending on the institution and method of request. In general, transcripts are processed within 1-2 weeks, but it can take longer during peak periods, such as at the end of a semester. Some institutions also offer expedited processing for an additional fee.