Will Peter Jackson Adapt Tolkien's Silmarillion for the Big Screen?

  • Thread starter Thread starter moriheru
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jackson
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 5K views
StatGuy2000 said:
[...] So in this respect, the Riders of Rohan are not portrayed in an unrealistic manner.
Yes -- that's what I meant: Tolkien does a much better job of portraying this than a lot of other fantasy writers.

His insights into jealousies and egos as the driving force of civilizations are also interesting. Have you read the extended story of Galadriel? Although she's one of the good guys, and remains so, she's driven deep down by ego and hubris.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where can one find the extended story of galadriel? In the appendi of lord of the rings or in the history fo middle Earth (1-12)?
strangerep said:
Yes -- that's what I meant: Tolkien does a much better job of portraying this than a lot of other fantasy writers.His insights into jealousies and egos as the driving force of civilizations are also interesting. Have you read the extended story of Galadriel? Although she's one of the good guys, and remains so, she's driven deep down by ego and hubris.

Where can one find the extended story of galadriel? In the appendi of lord of the rings or in the history fo middle Earth (1-12)?
 
moriheru said:
Where can one find the extended story of galadriel? In the appendi of lord of the rings or in the history fo middle Earth (1-12)?
I saw it in Unfinished Tales -- which is partly stories, and partly commentary by Chris Tolkien on his father's unfinished writings (hence he points out various inconsistencies where JRR apparently changed his mind about some of the details).

I don't know if it's since been re-edited/re-published.
 
The LOTR films were great, but the Hobbit film lost all the charm of the book. Too many horrible orcs, and no Tom Bombadil, so that a child's fantasy became a horror movie!
I tried reading Silmarillion, but found it unreadable, so I have never tried any of the other works by Christopher Tolkien. I certainly wouldn't go to see a movie of it.

Mike
 
The "Silmarillion" is not really a "novel". It is more like a fantasy version of a world history text- a chapter given to each era with some illustrative myths of that era included. About one page covers the "Lord of the Rings" era!

I actually enjoyed the book, after I stopped thinking it was a novel. I cannot imagine how they would make it a movie. Perhaps select one chapter and expand it. I really did not like the "Hobbit" movie. They should have made it as one movie and kept to the book more.