Will rust travel opposite of gravity?

In summary: You can try to prevent it by using proper materials and construction techniques, but eventually it will penetrate the concrete.
Gary Weller
TL;DR Summary
There is an iron nail in the middle of a concrete slab. As it rusts, will this rust stain travel with gravity, or could it possibly travel up toward the sky?
I work in the swimming pool industry. We often lock lumber into concrete by hammering hot galvanized nails half way into the lumber for the concrete to grab a hold of. In an "argument" with my boss, I told him if we set the nails at least an inch below the top of the concrete, the rust will not travel up to the visible deck. He argues that it can. I assume this "liquid rust" (if you will) would follow the path of least resistance, like most liquids do. I just can't imagine the path of least resistance would be up when there are just as many gaps beneath the nail as above. Just looking for somebody to back me or correct me.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure what you're talking about but with moisture involved, you might look up "capillary action"

Likes russ_watters, jim mcnamara and berkeman
phinds said:
I'm not really sure what you're talking about but with moisture involved, you might look up "capillary action"

Actually, this was the perfect reply. It would absolutely prove me wrong. Thank you.

Likes russ_watters and phinds
Add diffusion to processes that will make the rust travel up (actually in all directions, "up" included).

Likes Chestermiller
Like the quip about, 'Life will find a way', so will rust stains...

Likes nsaspook
Everything bad for concrete and embedded iron would come from the top of the deck. Iron is normally passivated against rust by concrete's high pH but atmospheric CO2 neutralizes it. A “carbonation front” WILL move from the outer surface towards the interior until it reaches the iron and then rust will begin to form. It’s like a fuse.
The pool is also kept in a state to inhibit bacterial and algal growth using chlorine either added or generated in situ. This means that chloride will also be available on the surface and will diffuse toward the iron. Soluble salts present on pool water will infiltrate the concrete pores and will potentially cause surface spalling and erosion when they dry and expand (salt corrosion).
Rust is inevitable.

Likes Nik_2213

1. Will rust travel upwards or downwards?

Rust travels downwards in the direction of gravity. This is because rust is heavier than the metal it is formed on and will fall downwards due to gravity.

2. Can rust travel in any direction?

Rust can travel in any direction as long as it is not hindered by any obstacles. However, it will typically travel downwards due to gravity.

3. Will rust travel faster in a vacuum?

No, rust will travel at the same speed in a vacuum as it does in any other environment. The speed of rust is dependent on the rate of oxidation, not on external factors such as air or pressure.

4. Can rust travel upwards if there is no gravity?

Without the presence of gravity, rust will not have a specific direction of travel. It may still form and spread, but it will not have a consistent direction of movement.

5. How can I prevent rust from traveling?

The best way to prevent rust from traveling is to regularly inspect and maintain metal surfaces, keep them dry, and apply protective coatings such as paint or rust inhibitors. Additionally, avoiding exposure to moisture and corrosive substances can also help prevent rust from forming and spreading.