Will sound be affected by gravity in this simple problem?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving the speed of sound in air and the time it takes for an echo to return. The solution involves using the equation s=Vi*t + (.5)*(a)*(t^2) and making sure to input the correct answer when solving the problem.
iJamJL

Homework Statement

Assume the air temperature is 10.8o C, and the speed of sound in air is 337.8 m/s. Suppose the lab floor is 2.61 m beneath the motion detector. If the detector produces a click, how long would it take before the echo returned?

Homework Equations

s=Vi*t + (.5)*(a)*(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

When going down:
distance = Vi(t) + (.5)*a(t^2)
2.61*2 (double distance) = 0 + [9.81*(t^2)] / 2
10.44 / 9.81 = t^2
t1 = 1.0316

Physics news on Phys.org
For one, you need to give us a better idea of the problem as a lot of this seems vague.

Two, does that seem at all reasonable? Should sound take a whole second to travel only 2.6 meters?

Found my mistake. I actually solved the answer correctly the first time (distance = v*t), but I accidentally input my answer incorrectly online. Woops :rolleyes:

This thread can be deleted.

1. How does gravity affect sound?

Gravity does not directly affect sound itself. However, it can affect the medium through which sound travels, such as air or water. This can cause changes in the speed and direction of sound waves.

2. Does sound travel differently in a gravitational field?

Yes, sound waves can travel differently in a gravitational field. This is because the force of gravity can cause changes in air pressure and density, which can affect the speed and direction of sound waves.

3. Can sound waves be affected by the strength of gravity?

Yes, the strength of gravity can indirectly affect sound waves. For example, in a stronger gravitational field, air molecules may be more tightly packed, leading to faster sound waves. However, the effect is usually very small and difficult to measure.

4. Is sound affected by gravity in outer space?

In the vacuum of outer space, there is no medium for sound waves to travel through, so sound cannot be produced or heard. Therefore, gravity does not have any effect on sound in outer space.

5. Can gravity change the pitch or frequency of sound?

Yes, gravity can change the pitch or frequency of sound waves by altering the speed at which they travel. A stronger gravitational field can cause sound waves to travel faster, resulting in a higher pitch, while a weaker gravitational field may cause them to travel slower, resulting in a lower pitch.