Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 173K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Battlemage!
- 292
- 44
I love me some gray Washington skies. Makes the pine trees look really vibrant.lisab said:Western Washington state weather is well within the normal range...drizzly rain, in the 40s. Gray, gray, gray sky.
I actually like it.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,643
- 1,602
Actual temperature was -30 C (-22 F) when I walked 20 minutes to the coffee shop this morning,
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
In Florida, it has gone down into the 40s, and the locals are cold. It's really cute.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Did you note that that post was from 7 years ago?Battlemage! said:I love me some gray Washington skies. Makes the pine trees look really vibrant.
Battlemage!
- 292
- 44
Yep.OmCheeto said:Did you note that that post was from 7 years ago?
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Yes, I'm so glad I left Sydney 14 months ago. I've been astonished to find that the Sanctuary Cove area of QLD is both far warmer in winter than Sydney, yet (often) not as hot as Sydney in summer (though it has higher humidity).davenn said:yeah, it's been dreadfully hot in Oz huh. Think this will be one of the hottest summers on record for NSW, maybe all of Australia.
Also, the awful summer storms you often hear about in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area seem to bifurcate around Sanctuary Cove most of the time, or are less severe. I've found it quite astonishing -- something to do with the topography of the mountains to the west perhaps.
But I digress off-topic.

Rubidium_71
- 153
- 409
Three days of continuous freezing rain, coating everything under a few inches of ice topped by water. There's no point in spreading salt or sand if constant freezing rain is going to wash it away. Very depressing.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
Rubidium_71 said:Three days of continuous freezing rain, coating everything under a few inches of ice topped by water. There's no point in spreading salt or sand if constant freezing rain is going to wash it away. Very depressing.
far out
we have had the hottest January here in the state of NSW, Australia in the last 150 years
In the Sydney area, where I live, there's been 4 or 5 days over 40C (104F) the hottest 2 days hit 43C (109.4F)
the last time I experienced sub 0C temps was when I lived in southern New Zealand
Dave
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Rubidium_71
- 153
- 409
davenn said:we have had the hottest January here in the state of NSW, Australia
It's not so much the cold this winter, it's that the temp hovers right around 32 degrees. I'd rather it be colder because I can fight my way through snow with my 4 wheel drive pickup. Ice is another matter entirely. At one point this January my road was under a 4 inch thick ice plate. Glad things are warm where you are. :)
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
The cold thread is for winter weather, there was a "hot" thread created for summer. The last few winters here have been mild, this one has been miserable with the temperatures at or below freezing for weeks.Rubidium, I know what you mean about the ice, NOTHING worse. The first few years after I moved here we had significant ice storms each winter and I drove a sports car. 

OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Perhaps a thread title change would be appropriate; "Baby, it's miserable outside".
I for one, welcome the comments of our thermally overloaded down-under friends, as they remind me; "Spring is coming"
I for one, welcome the comments of our thermally overloaded down-under friends, as they remind me; "Spring is coming"
Rubidium_71
- 153
- 409
I was in that situation once myself. We had a string on mild winters here during which I owned a '94 Camaro and I was able to drive it all year. Then in 2003 it swung back to being a frigid hellscape with regular blizzards and I traded my car for a pickup. I still miss the Camaro sometimes, but I'm very glad to have my pickup.Evo said:Rubidium, I know what you mean about the ice, NOTHING worse. The first few years after I moved here we had significant ice storms each winter and I drove a sports car.
Psinter
- 278
- 785
Yes. I did not like this winterBaby it's cold outside
I shiver every time I go outside at night. Last winter was hot as always and as it should be. At least for how I'm used for it to be. But this one was unexpectedly cold.
I feel bad for the homeless this winter, they must feel cold. I wouldn't survive if I were to be on their position, that's for sure.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
nsaspook said:+1
I don't mean to laugh, as someone may have been injured, but...
Ya all need to be slowin' down out there.
[edit]News reports claim there were no serious injuries. Whew!
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
My first thought was "mail's in" (the ground).OmCheeto said:I don't mean to laugh, as someone may have been injured, but...

OmCheeto said:I don't mean to laugh, as someone may have been injured, but...
Ya all need to be slowin' down out there.
[edit]News reports claim there were no serious injuries. Whew!
I'm sure that the SUVs were thinking - I can handle this, I've got 4 wheel drive!
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
I would brag about the fact that I've lived here for 58 years, and never been in an accident, in these types of weather conditions, but I'm sure it was the winter of 1964, when my family drove from Portland to Anchorage, in NOVEMBER, a week after my dad taught my mom how to drive,Borg said:My first thought was "mail's in" (the ground).
I'm sure that the SUVs were thinking - I can handle this, I've got 4 wheel drive!

and I should have been dead, at least 3 times, that somewhat engrained in my head: "Ice = slippery = death ---> learn how to put on chains, and... ps. don't drive like a fool".
My childhood, has served me well.
[edit] ps. Mom did very well, actually, considering her driving skills. No one died. With the exception of the rented Galaxy 500, which after rolling down the hill, had all it's wheels snapped off, and all of it's windows shattered.
Science Advisor
- 1,567
- 5,225
OmCheeto said:I don't mean to laugh, as someone may have been injured, but...
[edit]News reports claim there were no serious injuries. Whew!
That's good news that they now know that ice is slippery here. Wow, the cocooned in city of Portland Oregon has discovered that salt works without the start of the 'Apocalypse' on winter roads.
http://www.kptv.com/story/34424249/transportation-workers-see-more-success-using-salt-on-icy-roads?autostart=true
Psinter
- 278
- 785
What is a pooch?davenn said:my pooch used to do what those 4 are doing in the first pic
it was amusing to watch them have to move periodically to stay in the sunlight
I think that's a response of many animals including humans. To go right under the sun when it is cold. I once mentioned how I got an apartment with an air conditioner, but I couldn't control it because the sensor was broken. Plus I forgot to bring my thick blanket from my home into the apartment so everytime it would automatically turn on I would suffer for the whole night. Man, those were chilled times. After some time I cried from being so cold and prayed for the sun to come out quickly so I could get warm.
But when I think about this for a minute... Plants cannot move. I feel sorry for them (edit: figuratively speaking). I mean, if they feel cold, what can they do? Nothing... I think.
Last edited:
Mentor
- 38,152
- 10,759
One of many words in English for "dog."Psinter said:What is a pooch?
They don't "feel" cold. To do so would require a nervous system, I believe. If the temperature is too low for a given plant, it will shrivel up and die.Psinter said:I think that's a response of many animals including humans. To go right under the sun when it is cold. I once mentioned how I got an apartment with an air conditioner, but I couldn't control it because the sensor was broken. Plus I forgot to bring my thick blanket from my home into the apartment so everytime it would automatically turn on I would suffer for the whole night. Man, those were chilled times. After some time I cried from being so cold and prayed for the sun to come out quickly so I could get warm.
But let's think about this for a minute... Plants cannot move. I feel sorry for them. I mean, if they feel cold, what can they do? Nothing... I think.
Psinter
- 278
- 785
Oh. That's very good to know thenMark44 said:One of many words in English for "dog."
They don't "feel" cold. To do so would require a nervous system, I believe. If the temperature is too low for a given plant, it will shrivel up and die.
- 32,819
- 4,724
It's -20 F here right now in the suburbs of Chicago. Yesterday, we just missed breaking the all-time coldest temperate ever recorded for the area. Many schools will be closed for the 2nd day in a row today.
So yes, it is definitely cold outside.
Zz.
So yes, it is definitely cold outside.
Zz.
Education Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,074
- 1,156
ZapperZ said:It's -20 F here right now in the suburbs of Chicago. Yesterday, we just missed breaking the all-time coldest temperate ever recorded for the area. Many schools will be closed for the 2nd day in a row today.
So yes, it is definitely cold outside.
Zz.
Currently it is -18 C with a windchill of -32 C outside here in Toronto (that would be -0.4 F with a windchill of -22 F for you Americans out there).
Environment Canada -- the Canadian government agency responsible for coordinating environmental policies and programs across the country, and who also issue provide weather forecasting and various weather alerts -- issued an extreme cold warning for much of Ontario.
So it is definitely cold outside here too.
)