Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cold Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 173K views
gmax137 said:
I was just texting with a colleague who is attending a meeting in Burr Ridge, IL. You can't make this stuff up :).
In case anyone hasn't seen the play "Hamilton" yet:
Brrrrrr kills 'Hamilton' again: Chicago shows canceled Wednesday due to cold

[https://abc6onyourside.com/news/offbeat/brrrrrr-kills-hamilton-again-chicago-shows-canceled-wednesday-due-to-cold]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nsaspook and Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
So why is it there are plenty of people drinking iced coffees, wearing loose sweats*? I still do my weird drinking of iced coke, but that is just an old habit. And I do it after my power Winter breakfast.

*And many wear tights in summer.?
 
Right now, it is 0 C (32 F) and snowing quite hard; accumulation of 30 - 40 centimetres (12 - 16 inches) between now and Saturday.

The forecast high/low (without wind chill) is -21 C / -27 C (-6 F/-17 F) on Saturday and -22 C/ -28 C (-8 F/-18 F) on Sunday.
 
Last edited:
Walked to Tims (coffee shop) yesterday morning at -26 C (-34 C windchill) and -28 C (-42 windchill) this morning. I looked a little like
Tims Trek.jpg
 
Attachments
  • Tims Trek.jpg
    Tims Trek.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 637
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and davenn
George Jones said:
Walked to Tims (coffee shop) yesterday morning at -26 C (-34 C windchill) and -28 C (-42 windchill) this morning. I looked a little likeView attachment 238217

Bring me back a muffin!

After the brutal cold of last week, we are now having a rapid warming. They are predicting record high temps for this time of the year around here. All that melting snow may cause localized flooding.

We are definitely going from one extreme to the other within a span of less than a week.

Zz.
 
ZapperZ said:
Bring me back a muffin!
Old Cow said:
I could use about four...!
Waiting for a Chinook.jpg


.
 
Attachments
  • Waiting for a Chinook.jpg
    Waiting for a Chinook.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 521
George Jones said:
Walked to Tims

I think that may be a bit too Canadian for the average reader. (I found a Timmies in Wheeling, WV of all places. I think the southernmost one is in Norfolk)
 
Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
I think the southernmost one is in Norfolk)
I believe that is correct. Tim Horton's seems to be Midwest and NE. There are locations in NY City and suburbs, and cities in upstate, like Buffalo. Albany apparently doesn't have one, nor Poughkeepsie. I encountered some in Maine, which was a first time, and saw them in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The westernmost in the US is the one in Minot, ND.

Folks in the US should be aware that it's a bit colder in parts of Canada, e.g., Yellowknife, Churchill, Winnipeg, Iqualuit, . . . .
 
Astronuc said:
I believe that is correct. Tim Horton's seems to be Midwest and NE. There are locations in NY City and suburbs, and cities in upstate, like Buffalo. Albany apparently doesn't have one, nor Poughkeepsie. I encountered some in Maine, which was a first time, and saw them in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The westernmost in the US is the one in Minot, ND.

Folks in the US should be aware that it's a bit colder in parts of Canada, e.g., Yellowknife, Churchill, Winnipeg, Iqualuit, . . . .

Buffalo has a bunch, I'm waiting for them to come to the DC area. A friend of mine years ago thought they put addictive substances into their coffee, he couldn't get enough.
 
Astronuc said:
The westernmost in the US is the one in Minot, ND.

Interesting. Minot is home to a big Air Force base, and Norfolk a big Navy base. Are we going to see them pop up at Fort Bragg or Twentynine Palms?