Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will the universe run out of energy?

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    What do you think? Do you think technology can keep the universe running forever?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2
    Universe can't run out of energy, neither of mass. The Mass and energy cant be destroyed, just transformed.

4. Aug 12, 2008 #3
    Well, I meant, can we sustain the universe forever? Apparently the heat-death scenario says no.

5. Aug 12, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Can we? Certainly no.

6. Aug 12, 2008 #5

Dale

Heat death doesn't mean that there is any less energy than today. It simply means that the energy is all disorganized (entropy) and cannot be used to do any useful work.

7. Aug 12, 2008 #6
    If we can't make the universe last forever, is there a way to slow down time to make it seem like it lasts forever subjectively?

8. Aug 12, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Well, it's already going to last so long, it'll feel like forever.

9. Aug 12, 2008 #8
    good point.

10. Aug 13, 2008 #9

madmike159

Gold Member

Basically we would have to break the second law of thermodynamics. But why worry about that now? We don't have any where to go when the sun dies so it really doesn't matter.

11. Aug 13, 2008 #10
    Good point but whats to say another star of greater proportions won't take its place? Heck this is still so far away that your great, great, great, great grand children might witness this and by then there could be two suns. Check star patterns and the possibilty is more likely then not. What is your theory? Another possible ice age? I think this is just more hum drum what if BS show your theory or any kind of solid facts. I hate the chicken running around going the sky is falling! SORRY!

12. Aug 13, 2008 #11

russ_watters

I don't think you guys are grasping the time scales here. Ice ages happen on the order of every 100,000 years. The sun will live about another 5,000,000,000 years. That's not 7 generations of your offspring, but 160,000,000. Heat death is on the order of 10^100 years.

And no, another star won't replace our sun. They don't just appear out of nowhere.

13. Aug 13, 2008 #12

madmike159

Gold Member

Also for another star to reform out of the remains of a supernova would take so long that everything on earth would have died any way. Also we do notknow how much matter (dark matter etc) is in the universe so we don't know if it will expand for ever.

14. Aug 13, 2008 #13

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We urgently need to invest in renewable energy, to save the universe from heat death !!
    :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?