Expanding Universe without dark energy

takacszoltan87
TL;DR Summary
Question of a noob.
Dear all!

I'm not a scientist, but I'm thinking about something, I'm curious, is it possible to believe that our universe is in a vacuum, the stars are moving away a not because of the dark energy but becouse it behave like a luffbaloon in a vacoom. Sorry for noob questions.

Space news on Phys.org
The stars don't move away. Only distant galaxies do.

Yes, they move apart even in models without dark energy. However, no matter how you play around with the mix of matter and radiation in the model universe you cannot get the expansion profile to match the universe we see around us. To get what we see you have to add dark energy to the models.

So although you can have an expanding universe without dark energy, it does not appear to be the one we live in.

Likes Vanadium 50, PeroK and takacszoltan87
takacszoltan87 said:
becouse it behave like a luffbaloon in a vacoom
That behavior is driven by the pressure of the gas inside a balloon. In a vacuum there is no pressure between stars and other celestial objects that aren't effectively in contact with each other, and there is no material outer boundary to press against.

Likes takacszoltan87
takacszoltan87 said:
TL;DR Summary: Question of a noob.

Dear all!

I'm not a scientist, but I'm thinking about something, I'm curious, is it possible to believe that our universe is in a vacuum, the stars are moving away a not because of the dark energy but becouse it behave like a luffbaloon in a vacoom. Sorry for noob questions.
Okay, Thank you very much for everyone, it make sense!

Likes ohwilleke