Will two particles never touch each other?

• Thread starter Superleopard21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "gap" or a "channel" between particles in the 3 W-W exchange of 4-fermion interaction of weak decay of Neutron beta-decay process and scattering process. The expert explains that there is no actual gap between particles and that the Feynman diagram is simply a mathematical representation, not a pictograph of classical particles. The concept of "touching" also does not apply to elementary particles.
Superleopard21
i found that in the 3 W-W exchange of 4-fermion interaction of weak decay of Neturon beta-decay process and also this happens in scattering process,is there will be a gap or a channel between two particles?

19wo3.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a "gap"? This is a quantum process and the Feynman diagram is a pictorial representation of a term in a mathematical expansion. It should not be viewed as a pictograph of what is going on in terms of classical particles because particles are not classical at the quantum level.

More explicitly: you should not view a Feynman diagram as a "position versus time" diagram.

but I Seen from the particle physics textbook,it called the "gap" as a channel.

There is no gap. You can rearrange the lines arbitrarily (as long as the connections stay the same) and physics does not change, this is just the most convenient way to graph it.

"Channel" refers to a specific Feynman diagram or a class of Feynman diagrams.

The concept of touching does not make sense for elementary particles. They do not have a size, and they do not have an exact position.

thanks for letting me know that there is no"touch" in particles in the classical pysics,otherwise my mind is going to be blowed up,coz I am just a starter and an amtateur,so maybe I will have more questions.But I really get confused why ?there is really no channel or gap between two particles when they collided?

my assumption for understanding the 3-W exchange in 4-Fermman inmteraction is that if an particle crashed onto the front of another particle,it will be pushed backwards for some distance,and it will be reflected and remain the same horinzontal level direcrion;but if a particle crashed onto the back (or the inner space)of another particle ,it will be pushed inwards and but goes opposite direction

wz.gif

betaw.gif

Last edited:
actually what is another way to understand this ?the above post is just my own special thinking about 3-w exchnage in 4-fermmann diagram

mfb said:
There is no gap. You can rearrange the lines arbitrarily (as long as the connections stay the same) and physics does not change, this is just the most convenient way to graph it.

"Channel" refers to a specific Feynman diagram or a class of Feynman diagrams.

The concept of touching does not make sense for elementary particles. They do not have a size, and they do not have an exact position.
thanks a lot!

1. Will two particles ever touch each other?

It is highly unlikely that two particles will ever touch each other. According to the laws of physics, particles are surrounded by a repulsive force called the "Pauli exclusion principle" which prevents them from getting too close.

2. What happens if two particles do touch each other?

If two particles were to come into contact with each other, they would experience an incredibly strong force that would cause them to repel each other. This is due to the electromagnetic force between the particles.

3. Can two particles merge together?

No, two particles cannot merge together. Each particle has its own unique properties and characteristics that cannot be combined with another particle. They will always maintain their individual identities.

4. Are there any exceptions to particles not touching?

In certain extreme conditions, such as in a black hole or during a high-energy particle collision, particles may come close enough to touch each other. However, this is a rare occurrence and does not happen in everyday situations.

5. How do scientists study particles if they can never touch each other?

Scientists use various methods such as particle accelerators and detectors to study the behavior and interactions of particles. They also rely on theoretical models and mathematical equations to understand the properties of particles without physically touching them.