Win 8 problem - 100% disk usage

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary, Win 8 users have been experiencing a problem with their disk usage reaching 100%, causing their computer to slow down significantly. This issue has been reported by many users and can occur due to various reasons such as outdated drivers, malware, or system errors. To fix this problem, users can try updating their drivers, running a malware scan, or troubleshooting system errors. In some cases, disabling certain services or changing power settings may also help reduce disk usage.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I tend to hold onto old technology that works.

A few months ago, one of my Win 8 computers (ASUS laptop) developed a problem in which the OS has determined that 100% of the disk space is being utilized (according to the Task Manager). When I check the disk, it's less than 40%. For some reason, I can't use chkdsk.

I also understand that the same problem has occurred in Win 10. I'm reluctant to upgrade to Win10 since that may not solve the problem.

So far, I took it to a local expert recommended by a colleague, but he suggested a reset, which seems rather drastic. In the past, I just went into the regedit and cleared up problems, including malware.

What is a viable way to resolve this issue?

Computer science news on Phys.org
This sounds like space allocated for volume shadow copies.
type vssadmin list shadowstorage in a command prompt with administrator privileges.
Either there is too much space allocated for system restore points, or something has gone wrong during a system backup.

Borg said:
I recently had an issue with a harddrive that wouldn't boot and I was forced to run chkdsk on it from another computer. Have you tried taking it out and trying chkdsk that way?

I didn't have one already so bought this hard drive dock for $20:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/469116/USB_30_Hard_Drive_Dock
It would be difficult to remove the harddrive, but I will consider that option if I cannot use the system tools.

willem2 said:
This sounds like space allocated for volume shadow copies.
type vssadmin list shadowstorage in a command prompt with administrator privileges.
Either there is too much space allocated for system restore points, or something has gone wrong during a system backup.
The problem occurred in conjunction with a Win update. I tried a system restore to two weeks earlier, and the problem seemed to disappear, only to reappear minutes later.

At this point, I don't know if it's an OS glitch or some bad sectors. I'd like to try to fix the OS if that's where the problem lies.

I'll try the vssadmin.

Astronuc said:
A few months ago, one of my Win 8 computers (ASUS laptop) developed a problem in which the OS has determined that 100% of the disk space is being utilized (according to the Task Manager). When I check the disk, it's less than 40%.
Are you sure that's what is meant by "utilized"? I don't have Windiws 8, but in Windows 10, "disk utilization" isn't space it is data throughput.

So assuming it is throughout, you should be able to identify the process using it and shut that process down if it has gone rogue. I had this happen on my Windows 10 laptop.

In the MS response to this issue, they mention Chrome being a possible culprit.

When you say 100% disk utilization, do you mean 100% of the space is being used, or 100% of the bandwidth from the disk/sata port is being used.

i had a hard drive fail by going 100% utilization, it had some shorted wires inside the device

Here is a comment from:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-81/858b7a3d-fc94-4219-abe0-c48264c82c8d

It is at the bottom of the first page of comments. Note the success rate in the last line.

Brandon Hellevang replied on

I had seen a solution to this problem elsewhere - open Skype. I tried many of the other suggested solutions, even opened the desktop version of Skype that I usually use, just to test the theory (all of this took hours as my computer was so slow and Skype seemed like a long shot solution). Finally I tried opening the Skype App (8.1) and after taking around 10 minutes to open, disk usage immediately went down to single digits and has been fluctuating normally ever since. Odd, but effective. Might want to try it.

Did this solve your problem?

344 people were helped by this repl

Cheers,
Tom

When I go into the Task Manager, I go to the Processes tab.
The columns are Name | Status | CPU | Memory | Disk | Network

On my laptop, not doing anything, the initial number of processes totals about 1 MB/s, but the Value at the top indicates 100% Total utilization across all physical drives, and it indicates 100% when all the process read 0 MB/s. In contrast, on my ASUS desktop, in the Task Manager, the value for Disk (utilization) is 0% even when a process is using 3 MB/s, or multiple processes are using ~4 MB/s.

I'm working through some of the recommendations.
First - I used some information from here
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088

I went into Task Manager, went to the File menu, and selected Run new task. On the line, I entered cmd and checked the box underneath to "Create this task with administrative privileges".

The command box opened. I went to C:\ and typed in chkdsk /f /r

I received a message:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts: (Y/N)

I typed Y and hit enter.

I then got a message: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts."

In the meantime, I'll try some other options.

Update: Tried the following:
net.exe stop superfetch
net.exe stop "Windows search"

Windows indicated the services were successfully stopped. Still at Disk 100%, even with all process indicating 0 MB/s.

Running chkdsk without /f or /r. Disk utilization briefly dropped to 99%, before going back to 100%.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
First - I used some information from here...
Did you try this one...?

upload_2018-5-2_20-15-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-2_20-15-41.png
    upload_2018-5-2_20-15-41.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 709
I had a system that went that way, and too late I discovered that it was malware causing the excessive amount of disk activity.
It;s worth considering that.

Let's take care of the basics before running down rabbit holes.

Is the LED on the drive on 100% of the time?
If you boot in Safe Mode do you see the same symptoms?

Likes jim mcnamara
Astronuc said:
When I go into the Task Manager, I go to the Processes tab.
The columns are Name | Status | CPU | Memory | Disk | Network

On my laptop, not doing anything, the initial number of processes totals about 1 MB/s, but the Value at the top indicates 100% Total utilization across all physical drives, and it indicates 100% when all the process read 0 MB/s.
Try clicking the "users" tab and expanding the list by clicking the arrow next to your username. Windows seems to be hiding the offending process.

1. What is causing my Windows 8 computer to have 100% disk usage?

There could be multiple reasons for this issue, such as a faulty hard drive, outdated drivers, or background processes consuming too much disk space. It is recommended to check the Task Manager to identify which process is using the most disk space and troubleshoot accordingly.

2. How can I fix the 100% disk usage problem on my Windows 8 computer?

There are several solutions to try, such as disabling unnecessary startup programs, updating drivers, running a disk check, or performing a clean boot. You can also try disabling Windows Search and Superfetch services, as they are known to cause high disk usage in some cases.

3. Will increasing the RAM help with the 100% disk usage problem on Windows 8?

No, increasing the RAM will not directly solve the disk usage issue. However, having more RAM can help improve the overall performance of your computer, which may indirectly reduce disk usage. It is better to troubleshoot the root cause of the problem rather than relying on more RAM.

4. Can a virus or malware cause 100% disk usage on Windows 8?

Yes, a virus or malware can cause high disk usage on your computer. It is essential to run a full system scan using an updated antivirus program to rule out any malicious files or software. You can also use Windows Defender, which is a built-in security program in Windows 8.

5. Is there a permanent solution to the 100% disk usage problem on Windows 8?

The solution to this problem depends on the root cause. If it is caused by a faulty hard drive, then replacing it with a new one is the permanent solution. However, if it is caused by software or driver issues, then troubleshooting and fixing the problem can provide a permanent solution.