Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows 7 system requirements vs Vista's sys reqs.

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    I have a quad-core desktop computer with 6GBs of RAM, with windows Vista home premium (64 bit) it say's in windows task manager, in desktop, with no other programs running. That just the operating system itself and various other background tasks like virus scan, etc.. Takes up 15% of my processor usage, and over 1GB of RAM. That is quite a bit for an OS. The windows XP on my laptop uses less than 512 MB in most cases.

Is windows 7 going to take up more system resources than Vista? Would that effect performance while playing computationally demanding video games if I were to upgrade my version of windows?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Windows 7 is more memory efficient than Vista.

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3
    What about CPU usage? Is windows 7 programmed to make better use of multi-core and multi-threaded processors? Is windows 7 full of internet security holes like vista was?

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Yes. At least as far as the window manager is concerned.

All out-of-the-box workstation operating systems tend to have lots of security holes. Windows gets most of the blame primarily because it has the biggest market share.

6. Nov 10, 2009 #5
    Heck, I have WIN 7 on an old P4 3.06 2G RAM - runs like a charm.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook