Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows Vista source code leaked [humour]

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    this was one of the funniest [sort of the only] code-parodies i've ever read:

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I approve

4. Apr 6, 2008 #3
    Windows gets a lot of bad press, windows is a perfect demonstration of the damage having a virtual monopoly does to the quality of service amongst PC users.

That code is pretty much spot on though. :smile:

5. Apr 6, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In fact, the joke is already much older, as a quick search reveals Windows 2000 source code and even the complete Windows 98 source (when you see the latter, and take a look at how many features where in there, you'd start to wonder why Vista is so much bigger when the code is so much smaller.)

6. Apr 6, 2008 #5
    I'm disappointed that the Vista code doesn't include billrulz.h :)

7. Apr 6, 2008 #6
    I tried to compile the code you posted and got the following error: "Insufficient Memory." Please advise.

8. Apr 6, 2008 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's odd, it should compile even on a Pentium 1, as they're also using that at Microsoft. Are you sure it is the compilation that gives you the problem, instead of the execution?
    Also, you might want to disable all compiler warnings and compiler errors.

9. Apr 6, 2008 #8
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Proceding with your advise, I have turned off all warnings. The program has executed, unfortunately, the green power light on my computer has turned red, the sound system announced that my computer became operational in Jan 12 1992 and proceded to sing "Daisy Bell". I remain open to suggestions.

10. Apr 6, 2008 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sing along.

11. Apr 6, 2008 #10
  12. Apr 6, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You guys are killing me here! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

13. Apr 6, 2008 #12

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like you got it to work :smile:

14. Apr 10, 2008 #13
    :rofl: This whole thread is one of the best laughs I've had in a long while.

15. Apr 10, 2008 #14
    Open source is soo much better.

16. Apr 10, 2008 #15
    No joke, I have Vista and I can't name one added feature I use or actually have seen. Seems identical to XP. but even XP seems more stable.

17. Apr 10, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's just windows XP, but with Mac curtains to dress it up. :biggrin:

18. Apr 10, 2008 #17
    I went to a Microsoft dog and pony show meant to introduce Vista. They said that Vista didn't have that much new in it, but that the interface made it easier to get at the existing features.One of the flacks told this story, Bill was using the Vista version of excel and found a feature that he liked. He sent a note to the excel team to congratulate them for coming up with the new idea. They had to tell him that the feature had been in excel for several versions but that he just wasn't aware of it.

19. Apr 12, 2008 #18
    Really? Vista seems extremely stable to me... Then again I never really had a problem with XP either. I live Vista except for the fact that when I reinstalled it, it wouldn't let me type in the product key because it said it was already used... So now I need to call them and tell them that Im just reinstalling and according to some sites they'll comply and yeah....

20. Apr 14, 2008 #19
    lol vista does suck

21. Apr 14, 2008 #20
    lol thats HIY-larious

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?