Windows Vista source code leaked [humour]

In summary: No joke, I have Vista and I can't name one added feature I use or actually have seen. Seems identical to XP. but even XP seems more stable.
rohanprabhu
this was one of the funniest [sort of the only] code-parodies I've ever read:

10gidzr.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I approve

Windows gets a lot of bad press, windows is a perfect demonstration of the damage having a virtual monopoly does to the quality of service amongst PC users.

That code is pretty much spot on though. :smile:

In fact, the joke is already much older, as a quick search reveals Windows 2000 source code and even the complete http://www.hopf.demon.co.uk/humour/win98.txt [Broken] (when you see the latter, and take a look at how many features where in there, you'd start to wonder why Vista is so much bigger when the code is so much smaller.)

Last edited by a moderator:
CompuChip said:
... Windows 2000 source code ... http://www.hopf.demon.co.uk/humour/win98.txt [Broken]...

I'm disappointed that the Vista code doesn't include billrulz.h :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to compile the code you posted and got the following error: "Insufficient Memory." Please advise.

That's odd, it should compile even on a Pentium 1, as they're also using that at Microsoft. Are you sure it is the compilation that gives you the problem, instead of the execution?
Also, you might want to disable all compiler warnings and compiler errors.

CompuChip said:
That's odd, it should compile even on a Pentium 1, as they're also using that at Microsoft. Are you sure it is the compilation that gives you the problem, instead of the execution?

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Proceding with your advise, I have turned off all warnings. The program has executed, unfortunately, the green power light on my computer has turned red, the sound system announced that my computer became operational in Jan 12 1992 and proceded to sing "Daisy Bell". I remain open to suggestions.

Sing along.

Nice :)

RetardedBastard said:
I tried to compile the code you posted and got the following error: "Insufficient Memory." Please advise.

CompuChip said:

RetardedBastard said:
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Proceding with your advise, I have turned off all warnings. The program has executed, unfortunately, the green power light on my computer has turned red, the sound system announced that my computer became operational in Jan 12 1992 and proceded to sing "Daisy Bell". I remain open to suggestions.

Gokul43201 said:
Sing along.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You guys are killing me here! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RetardedBastard said:

Looks like you got it to work :smile:

:rofl: This whole thread is one of the best laughs I've had in a long while.

Open source is soo much better.

No joke, I have Vista and I can't name one added feature I use or actually have seen. Seems identical to XP. but even XP seems more stable.

Greg Bernhardt said:
No joke, I have Vista and I can't name one added feature I use or actually have seen. Seems identical to XP. but even XP seems more stable.

I think it's just windows XP, but with Mac curtains to dress it up. :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I went to a Microsoft dog and pony show meant to introduce Vista. They said that Vista didn't have that much new in it, but that the interface made it easier to get at the existing features.One of the flacks told this story, Bill was using the Vista version of excel and found a feature that he liked. He sent a note to the excel team to congratulate them for coming up with the new idea. They had to tell him that the feature had been in excel for several versions but that he just wasn't aware of it.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Really? Vista seems extremely stable to me... Then again I never really had a problem with XP either. I live Vista except for the fact that when I reinstalled it, it wouldn't let me type in the product key because it said it was already used... So now I need to call them and tell them that I am just reinstalling and according to some sites they'll comply and yeah...

lol vista does suck

jimmysnyder said:
I went to a Microsoft dog and pony show meant to introduce Vista. They said that Vista didn't have that much new in it, but that the interface made it easier to get at the existing features.One of the flacks told this story, Bill was using the Vista version of excel and found a feature that he liked. He sent a note to the excel team to congratulate them for coming up with the new idea. They had to tell him that the feature had been in excel for several versions but that he just wasn't aware of it.

lol that's HIY-larious

1. What is the "Windows Vista source code leak"?

The "Windows Vista source code leak" refers to the unauthorized release of the source code for Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system. This leak was a result of a security breach in Microsoft's internal network in 2004.

2. Why is the leak considered humorous?

The leak is considered humorous because the source code for Windows Vista was notoriously complex and difficult to work with. Many developers and users found humor in the idea of someone attempting to make sense of the source code and potentially even improve upon it.

3. What impact did the leak have on Windows Vista?

The leak did not have a significant impact on Windows Vista itself, as the leaked source code was from an early development version and not the final release. However, it did raise concerns about the security of Microsoft's internal network and the possibility of future leaks.

4. Was anyone held accountable for the leak?

Yes, a 27-year-old British man named Alex Kibkalo was arrested and charged with theft of trade secrets in connection with the leak. He was a former Microsoft employee who shared the source code with a tech blogger in France.

5. Has the source code for any other versions of Windows been leaked?

Yes, the source code for other versions of Windows, such as Windows 2000 and Windows XP, have also been leaked in the past. However, these leaks did not receive as much attention as the Windows Vista leak due to the popularity and complexity of the operating system.