Without a centralized, involuntary taxation power be sustainable?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ultimablah
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
91 replies · 12K views


Al68 said:
I think freedom should ultimately be the goal, and free people will engage in capitalism. The only way to stop them is to oppress them.

So you would support anarcho-capitalism? How would they get food in a capitalist system without engaging in it? I agree that freedom is important but there has to be a balance between freedom and the general welfare of the public. That's why we have the democratic feedback system. Some freedoms are more important than others.

Al68 said:
People talk about capitalism like it's an economic system in the same way socialism and communism are economic systems. It would be more accurate to say that (free market) capitalism is the result of a lack of an economic system.

Not the perfect source, but:

Wikipedia said:
Capitalism is an economic system in which wealth, and the means of producing wealth, are privately owned and controlled rather than publicly or state-owned and controlled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism
 
Physics news on Phys.org


misgfool said:
So you would support anarcho-capitalism? How would they get food in a capitalist system without engaging in it?
They could engage in voluntary socialism if they choose. Like the Amish in US.

Not the perfect source, but:



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

Yeah, I know. That's what makes it difficult to discuss the issue. But I'm not in favor of gov't choosing capitalism over socialism. I'm in favor of gov't not making the choice at all.

It's hard for me to think of the gov't just leaving people alone as a "system". And no, I'm not an anarcho-capitalist, I believe it's a legitimate role of gov't to protect liberty, law and order, outlaw theft, murder, fraud, assault, etc.

What do we call a situation in which the gov't doesn't try to assume "ownership" of each individual's labor at all, and each person owns their own labor, and can use it, sell it, trade it as they see fit?

Maybe capitalism is the wrong word to use, but it's the word others (perhaps incorrectly?) use to describe a lack of economic oppression.