Witty approach to protect AT-WILL contracted employees

• Thread starter Medicol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, In general, the best thing you can do to protect yourself is to do your job well. However, this situation is equal and fair. There is a law against wrongful dismissal, and social assistance "bridges" between jobs is important.
Medicol
Do you have any smart ways or know any law articles or clauses that can protect employees 'rights who sign at-will contracts with their employers ?

Physics news on Phys.org
no, because the entire concept is built around the corporation being able to do whatever it wants to the individual. Laws have not yet been written to fix this problem.

Witty?

The best thing you can do to "protect yourself" is to do your job well.

Anyway, I don't see this situation (in general) as a "problem", I see it as equal/fair.

Likes nitsuj
I had a contract terminated once because my boss was an idiot and couldn't understand he was asking the impossible of me. I could prove it was impossible only to someone who understood the logic of what was being asked. Who was at fault, the idiot who hired the smart person to solve the problem and couldn't understand or the smart person who couldn't make the idiot understand?

I agree, we need more rules to protect people of at will employment. Please send a formal letter to the government. At-will contractors are suffering...

russ_watters said:
Witty?

The best thing you can do to "protect yourself" is to do your job well.

Anyway, I don't see this situation (in general) as a "problem", I see it as equal/fair.

I do believe reasonability must be a common denominator in all dismissals, with a law against "wrongful dismissal" as an option for "enforcement" of the equal/fair treatment. Social assistance "bridges" between jobs is important (obviously dependent on reason for dismissal).

I also see no problem with "at-will" contracts, wanting the ability to have recourse due to being dismissed is laughable. It's like signing a one year employment contract and then after a year look to attempt to sue the employer for ending the contract after one year. lol

One caveat; if there is no caveat for an at-will employment "agreement" that is horsepuckey. it should be explicit, and documented. i.e. the potential employee must be [reasonably] fully aware of the conditions of employment, and via documentation that is proper for "admissible evidence".

So in the US in states with implied at-will employment contracts, I as an employer can entice employees with fancy pension promises and other time triggered employment benefits. Financially putting the employee in a position of loaning consideration to the employer (employer would be required to report the liability of accruing wages/benefits) . And then say a couple of years before those benefit triggers I dismiss the employee. Financially the employer writes off (cash account to non-cash account) the liability to say "Gain/loss - Their Pension/My Equity" on the income statement.

That simple example highlights the case law for at-will must be quite "robust", in other words equal/fair.

SkyLeach said:
I had a contract terminated once because my boss was an idiot and couldn't understand he was asking the impossible of me. I could prove it was impossible only to someone who understood the logic of what was being asked. Who was at fault, the idiot who hired the smart person to solve the problem and couldn't understand or the smart person who couldn't make the idiot understand?

That would make a good post in the first world problems thread.

Likes phinds
SkyLeach said:
Welcome to the real world.

Medicol said:
Do you have any smart ways or know any law articles or clauses that can protect employees 'rights who sign at-will contracts with their employers ?

Perhaps this is a little niave of me, but isn't this solved by the negotiation of the contract up front?

If you agree to an "at will" clause then a condition of agreeing to that might be that you would charge a larger fee or devine a contract termination fee or simply allow yourself to secure the contract in the first place in a competative market.

Likes Medicol
Choppy said:
Perhaps this is a little niave of me, but isn't this solved by the negotiation of the contract up front?

If you agree to an "at will" clause then a condition of agreeing to that might be that you would charge a larger fee or devine a contract termination fee or simply allow yourself to secure the contract in the first place in a competative market.
Sure I should have asked for higher pay :(

SkyLeach said:

What alternatives did you offer?

LOL The at-will employee agreed to the contract indicating that there was a meeting of the minds when there evidently was not in the instant hypothetical. A client representing itself as an attorney has a fool for an attorney, hire a real one. Or unionize.

Likes Medicol

1. How can a witty approach protect AT-WILL contracted employees?

A witty approach can protect AT-WILL contracted employees by using humor and clever language to communicate the importance of employee rights and protections. This approach can help to make the information more engaging and memorable, increasing the likelihood that employees will understand and follow the guidelines.

2. What are some examples of a witty approach to protect AT-WILL contracted employees?

Some examples of a witty approach to protect AT-WILL contracted employees include using puns or wordplay in employee handbooks or training materials, creating humorous posters or videos to educate employees on their rights, or incorporating humorous elements into company policies and procedures.

3. How can a witty approach be effective in protecting AT-WILL contracted employees?

A witty approach can be effective in protecting AT-WILL contracted employees by making the information more engaging, memorable, and relatable. It can also help to create a positive and inclusive work culture, where employees feel valued and respected, which can lead to increased loyalty and retention.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a witty approach to protect AT-WILL contracted employees?

One potential drawback of using a witty approach is that it may not be appropriate or effective for all employees. Some individuals may not respond well to humor or may not understand the intended message. It's important to consider the audience and use a balance of humor and serious information to ensure the message is effectively communicated.

5. How can companies ensure that a witty approach to protect AT-WILL contracted employees is implemented effectively?

To ensure that a witty approach is implemented effectively, companies should involve employees in the creation process, as they will have a better understanding of what type of humor and language will resonate with the workforce. It's also important to regularly review and update the materials to ensure they are still relevant and effective.