1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Wooden vs iron sword causing bone fracture

1. May 6, 2017 #1
    I'm trying to talk science to anthropologists and hope an academic physicist will let me quote him. Here is the data and my purpose is to prove that wood can't slice a skull the way a sword does . good grief .....
    " On this basis, the boomerang is the most probable candidate for the main trauma. , ..Of the weapons tested, the frontal wound observed in Kaakutja most closely resembles that produced by an African ‘Samburu’ sword".
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308184804_The_death_of_Kaakutja_A_case_of_peri-mortem_weapon_trauma_in_an_Aboriginal_man_from_north-western_New_South_Wales_Australia [Broken]
    -----------------------------

Paediatric ceiling fan-induced head injury | Radiology Case ...
    https://radiopaedia.org/cases/paediatric-ceiling-fan-induced-head-injury
    Dec 26, 2015 - Child struck on the head by a ceiling fan. ... Depressed curvilinear skull vault fracture with an underlying linear ...
    ----------------------------

Fan Decapitation | MythBusters | Discovery
    http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/decapitated-by-fan/
    Apr 11, 2012 - The Mythbusters asked: Can you be decapitated by a ceiling fan? ... a standard household fan 52-inch (132-centimeter) wooden ... 600mm blade
    .26miles per hour (42 kilometers per hour). . concussion or a bloody nose, but the blades are too dull and slow to decapitate.
    The industrial fan —metal blades that whip around at 54miles per hour (87 kilometers per hour) — . The blades acted like rotating machetes, slicing straight through the neck, jugular and vertebrae."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    13 x10mm wide neck cervical vertebrae, 100mm flesh.
    Aboriginal skull Kaakutja . 110mm bone excision to about 20mm wide
    wooden fan trauma on child skull 100mm bone linear crack , 10mm crater

'The atlantoaxial (C1–2) joint in pigs is similar to that in humans and could serve as a human substitute. The pig cervical spine is highly similar to the human cervical spine, ."
    ---------------------------------------
    Max arm-speed of baseball pitcher is about 100mph : 160 ft/sec.
    Vortex 56 Inch High Velocity Ceiling Fan - Stainless Steel
    Industrial fan . 700mm blade x 150mm. Area 1050 sq cm
    Indonesian keris sword , similar thickness 530mm x 50mm. Area 265 sq cm. = . 4 weight mass

wooden fan 600mm blade x 150mm. Area 900 sq cm.
    boomerang hardwood blade 600mm x 50mm. Area 300 sq cm. thickness is about 10mm and weight similar to keris and to wooden fan-blade about 5mm thick.

Janka hardness boomerang blade
    Gidgee 4270
    Mulga acacia 3820
    ( Hickory 1820 ).

So in broad terms would you say a wooden blade or sword was used on the Aboriginal skull?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2017 #2
    An iron boomerang will not work.

4. May 6, 2017 #3
    No you're thinking of iron boats which sank look at the Titanic.

5. May 6, 2017 #4
    Aluminium and lightweight carbon based structures (wood) work though,
    I love Carbon, but so does everybody.
    The perfect way to decapitate somebody would probably need a sword constructed from depleted Uraniam

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  6. May 6, 2017 #5
    Swedish svardet means "sword" , it became lightweight carbon but sank and stopped working. .
    "Svärdet was under the command of Claes Uggla, and fought in the Battle of Öland. Before the surrounding enemies could board Svärdet, a Dutch fireship accidentally set her ablaze. The fire eventually reached the gunpowder store, which set off an explosion that sank the ship. "
    Charcoal and iron sink. Uranium blades at mach6 are deadly.

7. May 6, 2017 #6
    I suppose that a lot of people got very annoyed about that,

8. May 7, 2017 #7
    Absolutely . I'm quite annoyed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted