Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,781 replies · 460K views
Wordle 1,318 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟨🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
Assured solution method count update. (Success/Fail): 5/0 - 100.0%/0.0%
Are you expecting it to fail at some point? 😉

I mean, I haven’t really considered whether or not my approach gives assured solutions, but the streak is at 640-something. Looking for events rarer than 1 in 500 seems excessive given the rate of data collection.
 
Orodruin said:
Are you expecting it to fail at some point? 😉
Nope. That's why I called it "assured solution method." See post #6,233 for how I arrived at this conclusion. All words from the list of 2,331 that I used can be found with no more 6 guesses. I verified that by finding 2,331 paths to the solution. My posted original filter of ORATE LIMNS DUCHY shows that only 4 words require 3 additional guesses. These are BOBBY BOOZY BOXER ROVER. The last three have already been used so from now on I expect a score of mostly 4 or 5. I expect one guaranteed additional 6 when BOBBY comes around. There could be additional sixes, when the 4th guess provides a 50-50 pair of candidates which could be a 5 or a 6. There is a total of 30 such pairs but I have not examined how many of them have been eliminated completely.

I note that this method assumes that (a) all words are picked from a list of 2,331 and (b) words may be reused, i.e. every time start with a "virgin" list. That's because I wanted to see if the same 3 initial guesses can guarantee a solution to all possible choices regardless of the selection order. I was surprised to find that the mean score was 4.278. When I did the earlier survey with a fixed first word (SLATE) with elimination of already used words and thoughtful construction of ad hoc filters, the mean was 3.241.
 
jack action said:
FOVEAfilter - 1 left
Is that even a word? Can you use it in a sentence? 😂
 
Wordle1318.png

Assured solution method count update. (Success/Fail): 6/0 - 100.0%/0.0%
 
Orodruin said:
Is that even a word? Can you use it in a sentence? 😂
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fovea_centralis

The fovea is responsible for sharp central vision (also called foveal vision), which is necessary in humans for activities for which visual detail is of primary importance, such as reading and driving.

Sentence: As you read this think of your fovea. :oldsmile:
 
  • Informative
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Orodruin, OmCheeto and gmax137
Wordle 1,319 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ BLINK now that I have used this for a week, I can't stop
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨 PROSE
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ DUCHY
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩 WATER
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 FEVER

Like Ringo says, "it don't come easy"
 
kuruman said:
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fovea_centralis

The fovea is responsible for sharp central vision (also called foveal vision), which is necessary in humans for activities for which visual detail is of primary importance, such as reading and driving.

Sentence: As you read this think of your fovea. :oldsmile:
Today I learned a new word and some additional anatomy!
 
Wordle1319.png

This one could have been a 5. The primary filter of 3 words yielded 3 candidates, FEVER, FEWER, REFER. Either one of the first two starting with F would guarantee a score of 5 or less. According to my protocol, I picked alphabetically which turned out to be correct. This means that if FEWER or REFER appear in the future, I would pick FEVER again as guess 4 which is consistent with the principle that the primary filter is applied to the entire list of 2,331 words and all subsequent guesses are predetermined. So this particular subgroup of 3 out of 2,331 words has a guaranteed score of (4, 5, 5).

Assured solution method count update. (Success/Fail): 7/0 - 100.0%/0.0%
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and OmCheeto
Wordle 1,320 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I saw the answer word after my third guess, but discounted it for some reason, not sure why.
 
I was on the right track but apparently on the wrong train. Train of thought that is. :)

Wordle 1,320 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟩⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Test driving my new Google Sheet. Spoiler warning for the images!

Wordle 1 321 4/6

🟨🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟨🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

After guess 1 (ALERT):
1738195854907.png

ALERT left 18 possibilities. The score is the expected remaining entropy (defined as the log2 of the number of remaining words) after the guess is made. "Expected remaining" is not really expected remaining, but 2^expected remaining entropy. I would not normally have gone for a word like LADLE here ...

The columns 1-5 represent the letters of the guess. The entered number represents
0 - gray
1 - yellow
2- green
Based on these numbers I compute an identifier for the pattern using base 3 to get patterns between 0 and 242 (242 being identical). I then check for which non-used words fit that pattern and continue to check which of those words make the best filter word among those remaining.

After guess 2 (LADLE):
1738195809467.png

Brings us down to 3 remaining words. Picking any of the words will either solve the Wordle directly or leave only one possibility. Was torn between VALVE and SALVE ...

After guess 3 (VALVE):
1738195761255.png

Drat! Neither VALVE or SALVE would have been correct. Ironically, the word FALSE appears in multiple cells in the sheet 😂
1738196233768.png

It was right in front of my nose all the time!
 
Did you guys miss me? :wink:

Wordle 1,321 3/6
🟨⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#GuessTheLogo #136
® 🟥 🟥 🟥 🟥 🟩
#SymbolSpecialist
[Spam link deleted by the Mentors]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ChaseLess said:
#GuessTheLogo #136
® 🟥 🟥 🟥 🟥 🟩
#SymbolSpecialist
[Spam link deleted by the Mentors]
#GuessTheLogo #136

® 🟩 ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜

#LogoLearner
[Spam link deleted by the Mentors]

☺️

That one was easy. Cisco sponsored a project of my class in first year of university. The logo was everywhere. (Although it looked slightly different back then.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wordle 1 322 3/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟨⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩


ALERT:
1738310117647.png

Reasonably good start. 8 words left and a good score for one of them. The score of 2 is only possible if there is only a single pair that would be left unresolved by that word. 12.5% for a 2, 25% for 4 and, the rest will be 3.

HAUNT
1738310269313.png

Game went with the 62.5% probability.

Ironically, the solution was the word with the worst ability to discriminate among the others.

Stats after starting the sheet:
1: 0
2: 0
3: 1
4: 1
5: 0
6: 0
X: 0

Edit: Cleaned and spiced up the sheet:
1738326161915.png

Guess distribution is after starting the sheet so only 2 data points so far.
 
Last edited:
Wordle 1,322 3/6

⬛🟨🟨🟨⬛ [CASTE] 9 left: ARTSY BLAST ROAST SHALT SLANT STALK STAMP STANK TOAST
🟨⬛🟩⬛🟩 [SLANT] possible answer + filter- 2 left: ROAST TOAST. The outcome with similar words I dreaded.
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [TOAST] most probable for the challenging double T and people prefer raising their glasses better than eating roast!

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 57/32 - 64.0%/36.0%