Words that you tend to misspel mispell misspell
- Thread starter Ivan Seeking
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
143 replies · 17K views
Physics news on Phys.org
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
Broke, spelchequers ar poyntlis.Borek said:Whenever I write "learnt" I can't understand why spell checker marks it as incorrect.
cobalt124
- 60
- 32
Borek said:Whenever I write "learnt" I can't understand why spell checker marks it as incorrect.
It's an American spellchecker? That'll learn you!
physics girl phd
- 931
- 3
Just thought of this one yesterday as I wrote up the grocery-list:
BANANA
I used to spell it "bananna" until I noticed the spellings in little E's books seemed consistently incorrect. (At 1 1/2, she doesn't say it right yet. She asks for a "bee-ah" instead. She'll eat a whole banana in one sitting though.)
BANANA
I used to spell it "bananna" until I noticed the spellings in little E's books seemed consistently incorrect. (At 1 1/2, she doesn't say it right yet. She asks for a "bee-ah" instead. She'll eat a whole banana in one sitting though.)
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
Bananas... makes me hungry.
Oups. I mispeled it rong.
Banananananananananananananananananas.
Oups. I mispeled it rong.
Banananananananananananananananananas.
rootX
- 481
- 4
Evo said:Learned is American, learned is British.
cobalt124 said:I didn't know that, I thought they were used for different reasons depending on the sentence. I'm with the U.S. version here though, learned just looks wrong to me.
I thought it goes like
learn (first) -> learned (second form) -> learned (third form)
And same for dream:
dream -> dreamed -> dreamt
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
rootX said:I thought it goes like
learn (first) -> learned (second form) -> learned (third form)
learnt\ˈlərnt\
Definition of LEARNT
chiefly British past and past participle of learn
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/learnt?show=0&t=1300407408
Also spelt in America has nothing to do with spelling, in American it's spelled. Spelt is an ancient variety of wheat.
Last edited:
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
I almost always spell behavior as behaviour.
I also mess up with o's, but that's just because the O key on my laptop gets stuck...
I also mess up with o's, but that's just because the O key on my laptop gets stuck...
rootX
- 481
- 4
I only use dreamt or learned when I want to make it sound very special or bring lots of emphasis on what I am talking about.
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
Also, I frequently write ration instead of ratio.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,098
Not 12 hours ago, I FB'd a request for a pneumonic to help me remember the difference between discrete and discreet.
Not 1 hour ago, I FB'd a request for a mnemonic to help me remmber the difference between a mnemonic and a pneumonic.
True story.
Not 1 hour ago, I FB'd a request for a mnemonic to help me remmber the difference between a mnemonic and a pneumonic.
True story.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
DaveC426913 said:Not 12 hours ago, I FB'd a request for a pneumonic to help me remember the difference between discrete and discreet.
Not 1 hour ago, I FB'd a request for a mnemonic to help me remmber the difference between a mnemonic and a pneumonic.
True story.
Proton Soup
- 225
- 1
m for memory, p for pressure
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Misspell is one of 100 most misspelled words.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html
Here is one that I would haves never spelled correctly: daiquiri
I remember being surprised to realize that bellwether is not bellweather. I always assumed that the word referenced the weather, not sheep!
http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html
Here is one that I would haves never spelled correctly: daiquiri
I remember being surprised to realize that bellwether is not bellweather. I always assumed that the word referenced the weather, not sheep!
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
DaveC426913 said:Not 12 hours ago, I FB'd a request for a pneumonic to help me remember the difference between discrete and discreet.
Not 1 hour ago, I FB'd a request for a mnemonic to help me remmber the difference between a mnemonic and a pneumonic.
True story.
My Greek ancestors weep.
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
The Greeks resulted from the alliance of the Geek tribe and the Reek tribe.
Wait, this isn't lame jokes...
Wait, this isn't lame jokes...
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
FtlIsAwesome said:The Greeks resulted from the alliance of the Geek tribe and the Reek tribe.
Wait, this isn't lame jokes...
Hey! We're a complex people with a rich history, that unfortunately often seems to involve young boys. *sigh*... but hey, you like western civiliation right?
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
East, west, its all relative.nismaratwork said:but hey, you like western civiliation right?![]()
Einstein said so.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
FtlIsAwesome said:East, west, its all relative.
Einstein said so.
He also said, "Wow, that Pamela Anderson is a total prostitute!"
I think he said that.
Well, he would have... smart guy!
Science Advisor
- 4,430
- 327
Wasn't he also there when they stopped the siege at Middle Eath?
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
"Vell.. vee could just drop a hydrogen bomb on that big evil eye. Hey, I bet it would do for the zee ring too, ja?" (Legolastein)
Kenneth Mann
- 424
- 3
FlexGunship said:"Vacuum" and "Continuum"
In my head, when I type or write "vacuum" I pronounce it (internally) as "vack-you-um" to help me remember.
In the same way that when I type "Wednesday" I pronounce it (internally) as "Wed-ness-day."
Actually, the way you pronounce vacuum "internally" is also the way we should pronounce it "externally". It is a three syllable word.
I actually like pronouncing Wednesday as a three syllable word also.
One pet peeve of mine is the way people in the public eye (commentators, ad announcers, etc.) pronounce the word "vegetable". It is a four-syllable word. These public faces, however, pronounce it either as "veshtable" or "vetchtable", and sometimes use both mispronunciations.
KM
Kenneth Mann
- 424
- 3
Evo said:Learned is American, learned is British.
Generally, I see nothing wrong with the distinctions between American and British word spellings.
There are a couple of cases, however, that have always puzzled me, and this involves the differences in the pronunciation of the words "been" and "again". Americans pronounce "seen", "green", "spleen", "queen", "keen", "teen" and many others as the British do, so why did we drift off in our pronunciation of "been"?
The same holds for the word "again". (re: "rain", "Spain", "plain", "main", "refrain", etc)
KM
TylerH
- 729
- 0
That's probably an artifact of the Qwery keyboard layout.what said:I usually botch words that end in -uous like "continuous" the 'u' and 'o' get repeated and swapped.
I constantly misspell "theorum." I guess I'm writing with dialect,
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,098
TylerH said:That's probably an artifact of the Qwery keyboard layout.
I constantly misspell "theorum." I guess I'm writing with dialect,
Do you mean theorem?
TylerH
- 729
- 0
DaveC426913 said:Do you mean theorem?
Yes, didn't you catch the irony?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
TylerH said:Yes, didn't you catch the irony?![]()
You mean ironi?
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,098
TylerH said:Yes, didn't you catch the irony?![]()
I thought you were transposing the 'eo'.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,891
- 170
I scarcely misspell anything. However, I have letter-color synaesthesia, which makes any misspelled words look glaringly out of place.
Apparently, I borrow a few British-isms, such as the "ae" in "synaesthesia", which Firefox has underlined. On the other hand, many other British-isms seriously annoy me, such as using "-ise" when it should be "-ize". For the most part, "-ise" should be for Latin-derived words (e.g. "advertise"), and "-ize" should be for Greek-derived (e.g. "philosophize"). One exception is "prize", but "prise" is also a word and your spellcheck will do nothing for you there.
Oh, and the worst things I see rampantly used online are:
1. "Defiantly" for "definitely". Because "defiantly" is a perfectly good word, and it's amusing to see everyone doing things so defiantly all the time...
2. "Everyday" when you mean "every day". "Everyday" is an adjective, it means "commonplace, ordinary". Most of the time, it's not what you meant to say. "Every day" is an adverbial phrase that means "daily". This one even appears in print by semi-respectable sources...editing must be a dying art.
Apparently, I borrow a few British-isms, such as the "ae" in "synaesthesia", which Firefox has underlined. On the other hand, many other British-isms seriously annoy me, such as using "-ise" when it should be "-ize". For the most part, "-ise" should be for Latin-derived words (e.g. "advertise"), and "-ize" should be for Greek-derived (e.g. "philosophize"). One exception is "prize", but "prise" is also a word and your spellcheck will do nothing for you there.
Oh, and the worst things I see rampantly used online are:
1. "Defiantly" for "definitely". Because "defiantly" is a perfectly good word, and it's amusing to see everyone doing things so defiantly all the time...
2. "Everyday" when you mean "every day". "Everyday" is an adjective, it means "commonplace, ordinary". Most of the time, it's not what you meant to say. "Every day" is an adverbial phrase that means "daily". This one even appears in print by semi-respectable sources...editing must be a dying art.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Greg Bernhardt
- · Replies 87 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 87
- Ivan Seeking
- · Replies 21 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 21
- Sprinter
- · Replies 9 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 9