Work and work-energy theorum

In summary, the conversation is about a worker trying to lift a 65kg sandbag by dumping 80kg of tools and lunch kit into a box attached to the same rope. The question is to find the speed of the sandbag as it hits the scaffolding, assuming it starts from rest. The solution involves using the conservation of total mechanical energy for both the sandbag and the box, rather than separately for each object. This is because the two objects are connected by the same rope and will have the same velocity. The final answer is 2.9m/s.
mizzy

Homework Statement

In trying to lift a sandbag B attached to the rope as in the attached figure, a worker at the top of the scaffolding dumps his tools and lunch kit into the box A so that it is now 80kg. if the sandbag is 65kg, find its speed as it hits the scaffolding. Assume that the sandbag starts from rest.

Homework Equations

W=Fd

Win = change in kinetic + change in potential + Wout

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by drawing 2 free body diagrams.

Can someone guide me? Not too sure where to start.

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 650
Physics news on Phys.org
This is easily done using energy conservation.

Write down the totl energy (kinetic & potential energy) of the system (both the blocks) at the initial position & the final position.

Then equate the two to find v. (the two blocks & the rope move have the same acceleration & so will have the same speed at any instant)

SO do I use KE + PE = 0?

Do I add the total energies of both objects?? or keep them separate?

For this problem you want to use the conservation equation as follows:

mghi + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2i = mghf + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2f

So the equation is more so [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ug + [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE=0

As graphene mention being that the objects are connected via the same rope they will have the same velocities. Also if you write down what all your initial and final P.E.'s and K.E.'s it will be easier for you to see how they apply to the above equation. Hope that helps.

Joe

is the inital height 0 and the final height is 4.2?

Ok, i got my answer. I hope I did this right. If I made a mistake, please let me know where I did wrong. Thanks.

I found the total energy for the sandbag and the box.

SANDBAG:
1/2mv2^2 - 1/2mv1^2 + mg(h2 - h1) = 0
1/2(65)v2^2 - 0 + (65)(9.8)(4.2 - 0) = 0
32.5 v2^2 + 2675.4 = 0 (equation 1)

BOX:
1/2mv2^2 - 1/2mv1^2 + mg(h2 - h1) = 0
1/2(80)v2^2 - 0 + (80)(9.8)(0 - 4.2) = 0
40v2^2 - 3292.8 = 0 (equation 2)

I added both equations and came up with this:
72.5v2^2 - 617.4 = 0

solved for v2 --> 2.9m/s

Is that correct?

can someone look over my work and tell me if i did it right? Thanks in advance :smile:

You got the right answer, but only because you added the equations. The separate equations for sandbag and box are not correct. It's only the total mechanical energy of both that is conserved, not the energy of each separately.

Think of it this way: ΔPEsandbag + ΔPEbox + ΔKEsandbag + ΔKEbox = 0

But ΔPEsandbag + ΔKEsandbag = 0 is not true! Same for the box.

Thanks. Is that true for pulleys, the total mechanical energy of both is conserved??

mizzy said:
Is that true for pulleys, the total mechanical energy of both is conserved??
If you mean like an Atwood's Machine (masses hanging over a pulley), then yes--as long as there's no friction.

What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another, resulting in a displacement of the object in the direction of the applied force. In other words, work is done when a force acts on an object and causes it to move.

What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object equals the change in kinetic energy of the object. This means that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its speed or direction.

How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The equation for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the unit of work?

The unit of work is the joule (J) in the International System of Units (SI). One joule is equal to the work done when a force of one newton acts on an object to move it one meter in the direction of the force.

How is the work-energy theorem applied in real life?

The work-energy theorem is applied in many real-life situations, such as when a person pushes a shopping cart, rides a bike, or throws a ball. In all of these scenarios, work is done on the object, and its kinetic energy is changed as a result.