Calculating Work and Kinetic Energy in a Two Mass Pulley System

In summary, the conversation discusses a modified Atwood's machine where friction and the mass of the rope and pulley are ignored. The work done by gravity on the system and the fraction of kinetic energy that goes into the motion of the hanging block are discussed. The conversation also considers the addition of a coefficient of kinetic friction between the table surface and the block, and the resulting speed of the masses when the hanging block descends a certain distance. The equations used include the work-energy theorem and the expression for acceleration. The conversation helps clarify the correct expressions for velocity and acceleration in this scenario.
Diego Cunha

Homework Statement

https://int.erlace.com/uploads/teacher/1533/images/3modifiedatwood(1).jpg
Ignore friction and the the rope and the pulley and the rope have negligible mass.
  1. When the hanging block
    gif.latex?M_2.gif
    has descended a distance
    gif.latex?%5CDelta%20h.gif
    , how much work has the gravitational force by the Earth done on the system?
  2. That work went into the kinetic energy of the masses. What fraction of that kinetic energy went into the motion of the hanging block?
  3. Suppose now there's a coefficient of kinetic friction
    gif.latex?%5Cmu_k.gif
    between
    gif.latex?M_1.gif
    and the table surface. Find the speed of the masses when
    gif.latex?M_2.gif
    has descended that distance
    gif.latex?%5CDelta%20h.gif

Homework Equations

gif.latex?W%3D-%5CDelta%20U.gif

gif.latex?KE%3D%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7B2%7Dmv%5E2.gif

gif.latex?U_%7Bg%7D%3Dmgh.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I figured the work done was equal to change in potential energy, so

gif.latex?W%3Dmg%5CDelta%20h.gif
gif.latex?%3D%28m_%7B2%7D+m_%7B1%7D%29gh.gif

2. I'm not sure how to go about this one. I tried to take what I found for the work done and relate it the kinetic energy of the masses, so something like
7B1%7D%29gh%20%3D%20%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7B2%7Dm_%7B2%7Dv%5E2+%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7B2%7Dm_%7B1%7Dv%5E2.gif
, but I don't know if this would help, or if it is right at all.

3. Not sure. I derived an expression for acceleration of the system, and again I don't know if it would help.

gif.latex?a%3D%5Cfrac%7Bm_%7B2%7Dg-%5Cmu%20m_%7B1%7Dg%7D%7Bm_%7B2%7D+m_%7B1%7D%7D.gif

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like two pictures didn't post

For part 1, (m1 + m2)gh

For part 3, a = (m2g - μm1g)/(m1 + m2)

Your solution :

(1.) is wrong .
Does gravity do work on both blocks ?

*Remember - Work done is ∫F.dx

(2.) - What is acceleration of each block ? So what is velocity after moving a distance Δh ?

(3.) - Repeat as previous part .

I hope this helps .

Diego Cunha said:
For part 3, a = (m2g - μm1g)/(m1 + m2)
You got that part right.

Qwertywerty said:
Your solution :

(1.) is wrong .
Does gravity do work on both blocks ?

*Remember - Work done is ∫F.dx

(2.) - What is acceleration of each block ? So what is velocity after moving a distance Δh ?

(3.) - Repeat as previous part .

I hope this helps .

Yes, this helps. Gravity would only do work on m2 so the work done would be equal to m2gh. The acceleration of the blocks are the same, so each would have an an acceleration a = (m2g)/(m1+m2 ), without friction. For the m2, the velocity would be (m2v2)/2 = m2gh, so v = √(2gh). Does this tell me anything in terms of how much kinetic energy went into moving m2, would it be all of it?

Diego Cunha said:
Yes, this helps. Gravity would only do work on m2 so the work done would be equal to m2gh. The acceleration of the blocks are the same, so each would have an an acceleration a = (m2g)/(m1+m2 ), without friction. For the m2, the velocity would be (m2v2)/2 = m2gh, so v = √(2gh). Does this tell me anything in terms of how much kinetic energy went into moving m2, would it be all of it?

I think my expression for velocity was wrong, since I didn't account for m1, it would be v=√2h(m2g)/(m1+m2 )

Related to Calculating Work and Kinetic Energy in a Two Mass Pulley System

1. What is a two mass pulley system?

A two mass pulley system is a mechanical system that consists of two masses connected by a rope or belt that passes over a pulley. The two masses are connected by the same rope or belt, and the pulley allows the rope to change direction.

2. How does a two mass pulley system work?

In a two mass pulley system, the two masses are connected by a rope or belt that is wrapped around a pulley. When one mass is pulled, the other mass moves in the opposite direction. The pulley reduces the amount of force needed to move the masses by distributing it over a larger area.

3. What are the applications of a two mass pulley system?

A two mass pulley system is commonly used in mechanical systems, such as cranes and elevators, to lift heavy loads. It is also used in exercise equipment, such as weightlifting machines, to provide resistance. Additionally, it is used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as force and motion.

4. What are the advantages of using a two mass pulley system?

The use of a two mass pulley system allows for efficient transfer of force, reducing the amount of force needed to move heavy objects. It also allows for directional changes in motion, making it useful in various applications. Additionally, it can be easily adjusted to change the mechanical advantage, making it versatile for different tasks.

5. What are the limitations of a two mass pulley system?

One limitation of a two mass pulley system is that it is subject to friction, which can decrease its efficiency. It is also limited by the strength of the rope or belt used, as well as the strength of the pulley itself. Additionally, if the rope or belt is not properly tensioned, it can slip off the pulley, causing the system to fail.