1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work to create a square of charges

1. Jun 16, 2007 #1
    i'm completely stuck on this problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the problem asks for an expression for the work required to create a square charge configuration starting with the charges starting at infinity:
    each side is length a. on the top left corner the charge is +q, top right: -q, bottom left: -q, bottom right +q

2. Relevant equations
    change in potential energy= work
    U= kqq/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the charges begin at infinity, the work will equal the final potential energy. I think potential energies can be added, but if you add all the charges at equal distances you will get zero. I also tried chosing a corner and adding the potential energies relative to the corners but did not get the right answer.

thank you for your help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The work required to bring the first charge is zero.
    The work required to bring the second charge will be [itex] \frac{k q_1 q_2}{r_{12}} [/itex] where r_12 is the distance between those two charges at the final position. The work required to bring the third charge is [itex] \frac{k q_1 q_3}{r_{13}} +\frac{k q_2 q_3}{r_{23}} [/itex] since q_2 and q_3 are already there. You can guess the formula for the work to bring the last charge :tongue2: !

Hope this helps
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?