• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Working in Physics Research/Industry w/o a PhD (UK)

• Thread starter FaraDazed
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I live in the UK and I am an undergraduate at the moment, due to graduate in 2017 with a BSc in Theoretical and Computational Physics.

I have the option at the end of the next academic year to do an extra year as an undergraduate and come out with an MSci/MPhys (instead of the BSc) . I am already 26, and would be 28 when I graduate in 2017, or would be 29 if I chose to do that extra year.

I really would like to do a PhD, but that would mean graduating with a PhD when I turn 32/33! So the only thing making me think otherwise is simply how old I would be.

If I chose to just graduate in 2017 with a BSc, are there many jobs around actually in the physics research/industry for people with just a BSc? Anything really where I would actually get to use my degree, even if it was like a technician or even something like a patent attorney etc, but actually doing/helping with science?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
If it is only your age that is of concern and you do not feel or need to provide for a family, why not test the employment waters with some applications, but also apply to stay in school so if you do not get a premium job offer, you continue your education?

Likes atyy
If it is only your age that is of concern and you do not feel or need to provide for a family, why not test the employment waters with some applications, but also apply to stay in school so if you do not get a premium job offer, you continue your education?
Thanks, yeah I think at the moment I will apply for PhD places no matter what, as it will not hurt and can always decline if needs be. I have just been looking into part-time PhD opportunities, althought not sure if I could get funding for that; in the UK, many graduate get their science PhD places fully paid for with a healthy tax free stipend too which is more than enough to live on.

Why would I not be able to provide for a family without a PhD? OK maybe any salary I would receive would be slightly higher but before I went back into education I was earning a measly £13000 per year, and with my physics degree I have seen many graduate schemes (although most not directly to do with physics) where the starting salary is double that ~£25000. Plus many people are able to provide for their families on much less than that. I know growing up my families household income was only ~£22000 and that was with two siblings, and we turned out OK :)