1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working While Attending Graduate School

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    I'll be finishing my AA in December and transferring to a four year university in January. I currently work full time and will be doing so while working towards my Bachelor's (majoring in Physics and minoring in Computer Science). What I would like to know is if it is possible (feasible) to work while attending graduate school.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2
    From the reading that I did, it's possible to work /part-time/ full time would be impossible though. Just the amount of work.

4. Jun 24, 2012 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What degree and field are you planning to do in graduate school? Ph.D. students in physics (in the USA) normally receive financial support in the form of a research or teaching assistantship, or even a fellowship if they're very good. It's enough money for a no-frills lifestyle for one person.

5. Jun 25, 2012 #4
    I plan on getting my Ph.D in Physics. I haven't decided yet what I plan to specialize in, though.

6. Jun 25, 2012 #5

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Unless there is some important reason you need extra income beyond the stipend offered for graduate school, it seems a bad idea to try. A physics PhD is already beyond a full time job.

7. Jun 25, 2012 #6
    Thanks for the replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook