World’s largest Cherenkov telescope opens

In summary: They are mainly helpful for studying objects emitting high energy gamma rays, as well as cosmic rays.
edguy99
Gold Member
http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/physik_astronomie/inauguration_ceremony_h_e_s_s_ii_telescope_203113.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=Innovations-Report

World’s largest Cherenkov telescope opens. Does anyone know what it is meant to study and what it expects to see? I felt the article was not very clear on this.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's a ground based gamma ray telescope useful for studying objects that emit high energy gamma rays, as well as cosmic rays. High energy gamma rays photons are converted to particles [electron/positron pairs] when they strike Earth's atmosphere. Cherenkov radiation is then emitted because these particles have velocities that exceed the speed of light in air. Cosmic rays are already particles so they skip the conversion to matter stage.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What was the reason for building it in Namibia?

Good question...this is all I found in the time I spent searching. From here:

http://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/hfm/HESS/pages/about/

H.E.S.S. is located in Namibia, near the Gamsberg mountain, an area well known for its excellent optical quality

They don't really elaborate, and Wikipedia says exactly the same thing. I suppose you want the Cerenkov radiation to reach the ground without being absorbed. I wonder if it being arid also helps.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What was the reason for building it in Namibia?

First and foremost, it is a matter of avoiding light pollution, having clear skies, and having as little atmosphere above the telescope as possible. Thus, you want to build it in a remote, dry, high site. There are of course higher sites than this (1800 metres). I guess that they wanted it to be in the southern hemisphere (considering that a similar set of telescopes, MAGIC, exist at the Canary Islands). Perhaps political reasons played in - Namibia is a politically stable country, and used to be a German colony. I guess that other possible locations would have been Chile and Australia.

Gamma-ray are very high energy photons in energy range from few MeV to PeV (10^6 eV to 10^15eV) and even more. The visible photon which enable us to see object around us is just 1-3 eV. And you know the UV(ultra-violet) which in the energy region of 3 eV to 124 eV and most of these are absorbed by Earth atmosphere still we avoid to go out in sunny day due to skin burning by these UV. So u can imagine the energy associated with these gamma-rays.
We can not see all far objects (in space) with optical telescopes and for looking them we need eyes which can look in high energies and gamma-ray telescopes are the eyes for human for looking these far-objects.
The atmosphere absorb gamma-rays also and protect us but in same time it is difficult to observe them from Earth. But their secondaries particles are alternative to observe these high energy gamma-rays from the Earth. There are many telescope around world observing these high energy gamma's like TACTIC (http://pcsati.com/apsd), MAGIC, HESS,... and more are coming like CTA and MACE (highest gamma-ray observatory).

I hope you may have understand the basic motive of these huge investments.

What is a Cherenkov telescope?

A Cherenkov telescope is a type of telescope used to detect high-energy gamma rays from celestial sources. It uses the Cherenkov radiation produced when gamma rays interact with the Earth's atmosphere to create images of the gamma ray sources.

What makes the world's largest Cherenkov telescope special?

The world's largest Cherenkov telescope, currently the Cherenkov Telescope Array (CTA), is a collaboration of over 1,500 scientists and engineers from 31 countries. It will consist of over 100 telescopes, making it the most sensitive and advanced instrument for studying high-energy gamma rays in the world.

Where is the world's largest Cherenkov telescope located?

The CTA is planned to be located at two sites - one in the northern hemisphere on the island of La Palma, Spain, and one in the southern hemisphere in the Atacama Desert in Chile. These locations were chosen for their clear skies and minimal light pollution, making them ideal for studying the cosmos.

What are the potential discoveries that the world's largest Cherenkov telescope could make?

The CTA is expected to make groundbreaking discoveries in the field of high-energy astrophysics. It will allow scientists to study the most energetic phenomena in the universe, such as supernovae, black holes, and pulsars, and provide insights into the nature of dark matter and the origins of cosmic rays.

When will the world's largest Cherenkov telescope be fully operational?

The first prototype telescope for the CTA was completed in 2019, and the full array is expected to be operational by the mid-2020s. However, some telescopes are already in operation, and the CTA has already started taking data and making scientific observations.