World's Ugliest Dog Dies at 14

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Main Question or Discussion Point

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Sam, the tiny dog whose hairless body and crooked teeth earned him a reputation as the World's Ugliest Dog, died Friday, just short of his 15th birthday, said his owner Susie Lockheed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051123/ap_on_fe_st/obit_ugliest_dog;_ylt=ApGf55qeclDNMFEbXlitiOIDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl [Broken]

"I don't think there'll ever be another Sam," Susie Lockheed said, adding: "Some people would think that's a good thing."
Lockheed said she initially was terrified of Sam when she agreed to take him in as a rescue dog six years ago on a 48-hour trial basis. Although she fell in love with him, his (Sam) appearance repulsed her then-boyfriend and prompted the man to break up with her.!!!!
Good thing she did not marry that guy! What a jerk! :grumpy:

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051123/capt.cabar50111231935.obit_ugly_dog_cabar501.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

That dog looks like a deep fried rat. I might have left her too.

matthyaouw
Gold Member
"Worlds ugliest dog soon to be much uglier" would make a better headline.

Or how about "World's ugliest dog scares worms"

I'm glad he found someone who loved him as much as she did. What a blessing it is to have eyes that go beyond skin deep...tho at first I'm sure even she needed sun glasses.:cool:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Of course the real surprise was the autopsy which revealed that Sam was a cat.

A dog even ONJ wouldn't love...

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ONJ's Noble Steed said:
A dog even ONJ wouldn't love...
Olivia Newton John?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I always wondered whether the dog was even healthy (I've seen pictures of it before when it has won those world's ugliest dog type contests). I think it was just ugly, but there was always this little doubt in my mind that maybe it was actually a very sick dog to be so deformed looking...or maybe it was sick as a puppy, but better as an adult.

matthyaouw said:
"Worlds ugliest dog soon to be much uglier" would make a better headline.
Apparently, that news source takes honesty very seriously and does not sensationalize stories. That headline would've been simply false!

Moonbear said:
I always wondered whether the dog was even healthy (I've seen pictures of it before when it has won those world's ugliest dog type contests). I think it was just ugly, but there was always this little doubt in my mind that maybe it was actually a very sick dog to be so deformed looking...or maybe it was sick as a puppy, but better as an adult.
It certainly looks very sick to me. But as a biologist, I imagine you'd know better.

I agree with you there, Moonbear. He also appears blind in that picture. Or is that just the light catching his eyes when the picture was taken? But, yes, not a well-looking animal at all.

But I'll bet he was loveable as all get out.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
In the picture, Sam is almost 15 years old. Many dogs are almost blind at that age (assuming they live that long - that is a long time for a dog), and many cats as they get to 16, 17 or 18 yrs, have similarly poor eyesight.

Canine longevity - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/541778.stm

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
GeorginaS said:
I agree with you there, Moonbear. He also appears blind in that picture. Or is that just the light catching his eyes when the picture was taken? But, yes, not a well-looking animal at all.
But I'll bet he was loveable as all get out.
Hey, it's about time you started posting here! :biggrin:

Yes, he looks blind in those pictures (bad cataracts perhaps?), and with teeth like that, he probably would have had a lot of trouble eating...though the soft, canned dog food can pretty much be swallowed whole...I guess that's what he had to eat. I doubt he could have chewed anything more substantial. Sometimes I think pet owners' judgement is clouded by their own selfishness to keep around a pet they are attached to rather than to put it down when it really isn't healthy.

Moonbear said:
Sometimes I think pet owners' judgement is clouded by their own selfishness to keep around a pet they are attached to rather than to put it down when it really isn't healthy.
Ok, so if your kid ever gets really sick, make sure to dial 1-800-KEVORKIAN.

Ahh come on now let's be nice :rolleyes:. That dog probably had a heart of gold.. after all he did meet Donald Trump :tongue2:.