Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

World's Ugliest Dog Dies at 14

1. Nov 24, 2005 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Sam, the tiny dog whose hairless body and crooked teeth earned him a reputation as the World's Ugliest Dog, died Friday, just short of his 15th birthday, said his owner Susie Lockheed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051123...OIDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Good thing she did not marry that guy! What a jerk! :grumpy:

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg...t.cabar50111231935.obit_ugly_dog_cabar501.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2005 #2
    That dog looks like a deep fried rat. I might have left her too.

4. Nov 24, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

"Worlds ugliest dog soon to be much uglier" would make a better headline.

5. Nov 24, 2005 #4
    Or how about "World's ugliest dog scares worms"

6. Nov 24, 2005 #5
    I'm glad he found someone who loved him as much as she did. What a blessing it is to have eyes that go beyond skin deep...tho at first I'm sure even she needed sun glasses.:cool:

7. Nov 24, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course the real surprise was the autopsy which revealed that Sam was a cat.

8. Nov 24, 2005 #7
    A dog even ONJ wouldn't love...

9. Nov 24, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Olivia Newton John?

10. Nov 24, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always wondered whether the dog was even healthy (I've seen pictures of it before when it has won those world's ugliest dog type contests). I think it was just ugly, but there was always this little doubt in my mind that maybe it was actually a very sick dog to be so deformed looking...or maybe it was sick as a puppy, but better as an adult.

11. Nov 24, 2005 #10
    Apparently, that news source takes honesty very seriously and does not sensationalize stories. That headline would've been simply false!

12. Nov 24, 2005 #11
    It certainly looks very sick to me. But as a biologist, I imagine you'd know better.

13. Nov 24, 2005 #12
    I agree with you there, Moonbear. He also appears blind in that picture. Or is that just the light catching his eyes when the picture was taken? But, yes, not a well-looking animal at all.

But I'll bet he was loveable as all get out.

14. Nov 24, 2005 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

In the picture, Sam is almost 15 years old. Many dogs are almost blind at that age (assuming they live that long - that is a long time for a dog), and many cats as they get to 16, 17 or 18 yrs, have similarly poor eyesight.

Canine longevity - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/541778.stm

15. Nov 24, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, it's about time you started posting here! :biggrin:

Yes, he looks blind in those pictures (bad cataracts perhaps?), and with teeth like that, he probably would have had a lot of trouble eating...though the soft, canned dog food can pretty much be swallowed whole...I guess that's what he had to eat. I doubt he could have chewed anything more substantial. Sometimes I think pet owners' judgement is clouded by their own selfishness to keep around a pet they are attached to rather than to put it down when it really isn't healthy.

16. Nov 24, 2005 #15
    Ok, so if your kid ever gets really sick, make sure to dial 1-800-KEVORKIAN.

17. Nov 24, 2005 #16
    Ahh come on now let's be nice :rolleyes:. That dog probably had a heart of gold.. after all he did meet Donald Trump :tongue2:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?