jim mcnamara said:
Sexual reproduction has a lot of advantages, and this round worm just lost access to them.
Hi Jim:
I think one of us has misunderstood what the cited paper reports.
BillTre said:
a species of round worm which evolved from having males and females to having self-fertilizing hermaphrodites.
As I understand how ordinary hermaphrodite reproduction works, two individuals contribute genes to an offspring, which preserves the benefits of sexual reproduction. What is missing is just the a distinction between the X and Y chromosome. Each individual hermaphrodite can produce both eggs and sperm. It is sometimes possible for an individual to produce both an egg and sperm, and the sperm fertilizes the individual's own egg, but some hermaphrodite species have mechanisms to avoid this, for example: an individual cannot produce both eggs and sperm at the same time.
I do not have access to the cited article, so I don't know the details of this particular worm's reproductive process.
ADDED
I found the following in the Times.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/08/science/worms-selfing-hermaphrodites.html
But only a small minority of C. briggsae are males. The rest are hermaphroditic females that reproduce by self-fertilizing, or
selfing. They have evolved the ability to produce sperm that merge with their own eggs.
This is apparently saying that individuals of this species do fertilize it's own eggs, but the species also has some males which to some limited extent preserves sexual reproduction. There is not enough information in the Times article to make an estimate about how much sexual reproduction takes place.
MORE ADDED
https://evolution-institute.org/article/can-hermaphrodites-teach-us-what-it-means-to-be-male/
This article has details about reproduction. The following describes the fraction of individuals which are males.
Many scientists still raise the strain that Sydney Brenner selected in the early 1960s. Those worms will typically produce one new male for every thousand females. The frequency of males can by higher in wild populations, though. In some places, a third of the worms turn out to be male.
Regards,
Buzz