Would a charged lithium battery combust more energetically?

Conceptually this question makes sense to me I know a overcharged lithium battery will became unstable however with identical batteries except a different level of charge what would the properties of their combustion be? In depth conceptual, and mechanical explanations are always appreciated as well as sources of literature.

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
Conceptually this question makes sense to me I know a overcharged lithium battery will became unstable however with identical batteries except a different level of charge what would the properties of their combustion be? In depth conceptual, and mechanical explanations are always appreciated as well as sources of literature.
You could probably look up the energy released during combustion and compare it to the electrical energy stored.

Likes jrmichler and Bystander
jrmichler
Mentor
Look up the chemistry of lithium batteries when fully charged and fully discharged and compare the energy released during combustion. Search terms to get started: lithium ion battery chemistry. For example, the liquid electrolyte in lead acid batteries is sulfuric acid when charged, and water when discharged.

Likes russ_watters