Effectiveness of a two-week worldwide lockdown against COVID-19

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 3K views
When they say that a vaccine is "90% effective" what is that relative to? If you had a disease that only 50% of the population were vulnerable to, and everyone got the vaccine, would that make 90% of the people immune? Or 95% of the people immune?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Algr said:
When they say that a vaccine is "90% effective" what is that relative to? If you had a disease that only 50% of the population were vulnerable to, and everyone got the vaccine, would that make 90% of the people immune? Or 95% of the people immune?
It would appear that they don't overthink such things.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-r...ntech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine
43000 participants​
170 total cases​
162 cases in the placebo group​
8 cases in the vaccine group​

(162 - 8) / 162 * 100% = 95.1%​

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...s-clinical-trial-nih-moderna-covid-19-vaccine
>30000 participants​
95 total cases​
90 cases in the placebo group​
5 cases in the vaccine group​
​
(90 - 5) / 90 * 100% = 94.4%​
​
https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dsepd/ss1978/lesson3/section6.html
Vaccine efficacy or vaccine effectiveness​
 
Last edited:
Okay, thanks.

I was thinking of the notorious "lie detector" theoretical where a "90% accurate" lie detector ends up producing more false positives then actual positives. But I'm not sure if that applies here or not.
 
Algr said:
Okay, thanks.

I was thinking of the notorious "lie detector" theoretical where a "90% accurate" lie detector ends up producing more false positives then actual positives. But I'm not sure if that applies here or not.
Ha! Please note that I've changed my post, as, while looking at the equation, although the answer came out fairly correct, it didn't strike me as making much sense.
dumb.luck.maths.2020-11-19 at 12.14.31 PM.png