Would it be feasible to make a chemical inertial confinement reactor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
11 replies · 4K views
askingask
Messages
92
Reaction score
10
So basically, instead of using large complex pumped lasers, we use chemical lasers that have insane power output. They are used to fuse a fusion pellet. The excess energy is collected and part of it is used to prepare the next batch of chemicals needed to run the laser. What would be the problems with that design and how could you design it better.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
askingask said:
insane
Does that answer your question?
 
mfb said:
You need extremely short high intensity pulses that can be focused on a tiny target. Chemical lasers are not a good choice for that.
Are chemical lasers not known for their high power output?
 
askingask said:
Are chemical lasers not known for their high power output?

1730730972367.png


 
askingask said:
Why do you need fs pulses? Would pressurizing the pellet over a longer time period not give better results?
Did you read the information in the ICF link I provided?
 
berkeman said:
Did you read the information in the ICF link I provided?
I skimmed the text. Can you provide the page that you are talking about , it contains around 70 pages 😄
 
askingask said:
I skimmed the text. Can you provide the page that you are talking about , it contains around 70 pages 😄
See pp. 59-60 for a short discussion about laser pulse shaping. They are experimenting with different pulse shapes to optimize the implosion and ignition of the target.

So it looks like the current ICF systems need the optical amplification to not just increase the pulse power, but to also shape the final pulse at the target. I don't think you can do all of that in a single stage chemical laser...