Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fusion via Inertial Confinement

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    Hi all

I have to write a short essay on an application of laser technology for a class. I'm keen to write it on ICF but my uni library doesn't have a great deal of material. Can anyone link me to some reputable sources on the internet?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    I am involved with the international HiPER laser fusion project, which recently launched its planning phase.

Two useful links for HiPER are the web site...

... and the short film, released a few days ago, which explains some of the basics and background.

You should also Google the National Ignition Facility (NIF) at Lawrence Livermore labs, where the initial work is nearing completion to achieve proof of principle for Inertial Confinement Fusion. With luck this will be achived about 2 years from now.

Best wishes,

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory recently announced a concept for a power production system
    based on inertial confinement fusion. The concept is called LIFE and was announced at the 18th
    Topical on Fusion Energy in San Francisco:

LLNL Associate Director Tomas Diaz de la Rubia gave the following paper:

Dr. Gregory Greenman
  6. Jul 5, 2010 #5
    i introduced you two books in this topic:
    1.An introduction to inertial confinement fusion(S Pfalzner) chapter 2.
    2. laser and inertial fusion energy(Heinrich Hora,George H. Miley)
  7. Sep 10, 2010 #6
    The Release of Thermonuclear Energy by Inertial Confinement: Ways Towards Ignition
    Friedwardt Winterberg

Inertial Fusion: Beam Plasma Interaction, Hydrodynamics, Dense Plasma Physics
    by Stefano Atzeni and Jurgen Meyer-ter-vehn

Laser Fusion

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?