Would it matter which inner product I choose in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the inner product used in quantum mechanics is determined by the formalism and is limited to separable Hilbert spaces due to the mathematical statement that all infinite-dimensional complex separable Hilbert spaces are isomorphic to ##L^2 (\Omega)##. This means that even 3+1D relativistic QFT and quantum gravity would have ##L^2 (\Omega)## as their Hilbert space.
patric44
TL;DR Summary
it seems that quantum mechanics formalism is dependent on the inner product
hi guys
i was thinking about the inner product we choose in quantum mechanics to map the elements inside the hilbert space to real number which is given by :
$$\int^{∞}_{-∞}\psi^{*}\psi\;dV$$
or in some cases we might introduce a weight function dependent on the wave functions i have , it seems that if i had chosen another completely different inner product the formalism of quantum mechanics will be different ?! , is there a particular reason for that inner product that we use in QM or choosing adiffernt inner product will not change any thing and why .
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
patric44 said:
Summary:: it seems that quantum mechanics formalism is dependent on the inner product

hi guys
i was thinking about the inner product we choose in quantum mechanics to map the elements inside the hilbert space to real number which is given by :
$$\int^{∞}_{-∞}\psi^{*}\psi\;dV$$
or in some cases we might introduce a weight function dependent on the wave functions i have , it seems that if i had chosen another completely different inner product the formalism of quantum mechanics will be different ?! , is there a particular reason for that inner product that we use in QM or choosing adiffernt inner product will not change any thing and why .
thanks
The (position space) wave function and associated inner product may be derived from the general Dirac formalism:

We have a normalised state ##|\alpha \rangle## and the position eigenstates ##|x \rangle##, which form a complete basis:$$\int dx \ |x \rangle \langle x| = I$$ Hence:
$$ 1 = \langle \alpha | \alpha \rangle = \int dx \ \langle \alpha|x \rangle \langle x|\alpha \rangle$$
We now define the position space wave-function:
$$\psi(x) = \langle x|\alpha \rangle$$ which leads to:
$$\int dx \ \psi(x)^*\psi(x) = 1$$ and all the other formulas involving the wave-function.

In that sense, the inner product is determined by the formalism.

• Love
Likes vanhees71, etotheipi and patric44
thank you so much it becomes clear now

Likes etotheipi
That the choice of inner product is limited is a consequence of the famous mathematical statement: All infinite-dimensional complex separable Hilbert space are isomorphic to ##L^2 (\Omega)##, where ##\Omega## stands for an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## endowed with a measure. Precisely because of this fact, QM works with separable Hilbert spaces (add to that the spectral theorem).

Likes patric44 and vanhees71
dextercioby said:
That the choice of inner product is limited is a consequence of the famous mathematical statement: All infinite-dimensional complex separable Hilbert space are isomorphic to ##L^2 (\Omega)##, where ##\Omega## stands for an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## endowed with a measure. Precisely because of this fact, QM works with separable Hilbert spaces (add to that the spectral theorem).

It's probably not that limiting, since it means even 3+1D relativistic QFT and quantum gravity (if they exist) have ##L^2 (\Omega)## as the Hilbert space.

Likes patric44 and Tendex

1. What is an inner product in quantum mechanics?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two quantum states and produces a complex number. It is used to calculate the probability of transitioning from one quantum state to another.

2. Why is the choice of inner product important in quantum mechanics?

The choice of inner product affects the mathematical representation of quantum states and can impact the results of calculations. It is important to choose an inner product that is appropriate for the system being studied.

3. How do I choose the right inner product in quantum mechanics?

The choice of inner product depends on the physical system being studied and the properties that need to be calculated. It is often chosen based on symmetry and other physical considerations.

4. Can different inner products give different results in quantum mechanics?

Yes, different inner products can give different results in quantum mechanics. This is why it is important to carefully choose the appropriate inner product for the system being studied.

5. Are there any standard inner products used in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are several standard inner products used in quantum mechanics, such as the Dirac inner product and the Hilbert-Schmidt inner product. However, the choice of inner product is not limited to these standard options and can vary depending on the specific system being studied.