1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would this be a proper field worth going into?

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    I've always been fascinated with space. The plants, galaxies, stars etc. However, I have a huge phobia of math, i'm terrified of it. When I understand it my homework takes less than 30 minutes (Currently in Intermediate Algebra, the next course is College Algebra) not sure what the difference is. The thing is, when I don't understand it, it could take hours to do it.

Anyway, I just have some questions

1) About how long would it take to be actually working in the field?

2) What are my chances of working specifically in the field, I don't want to major in astrophysics only to end up working at mcdonalds.

3) I'm currently in a junior college looking to transfer next year, what classes should I be focusing on?

4) Should I actually major in Astrophysics or major in something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Algebra is very fundamental to nearly every technical endeavor. There is no career that you can choose in the sciences or engineering or even computer science that will be free of algebra.

The bigger question is after you learn it do you remember it? Can you apply what you know on a test? Can you solve problems with it?

Your phobia is something you must conquer before you can consider any science.

With respect to Astronomy, it is very difficult to get a job in it. Here's a website that gets into the things astronomers do, job prospects and related fields:

http://www.noao.edu/education/being-an-astronomer.php

If you can overcome your fear of math then maybe you should consider computer science after all once you understand math you can let the computer do it :-) and if a mistake is made you can always say the computer did it.

"To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer."

Computers can be used to do astronomical simulations as well as myriad other things and job prospects are much better for programmers.

Lastly, dont just major in one field like comp sci but try to have some backing in another where you can apply your knowledge and/or fall back on when the job situation gets tough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook