Would this be a proper field worth going into?

• Thread starter GKDAIR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the speaker has a fascination with space but a fear of math. They are currently in Intermediate Algebra and unsure about taking College Algebra. They have questions about working in the field of astronomy and their chances of getting a job in it. They are also considering majoring in Astrophysics or another field like computer science, but are advised to overcome their fear of math first. The speaker is also encouraged to have knowledge in multiple fields for better job prospects.
GKDAIR
I've always been fascinated with space. The plants, galaxies, stars etc. However, I have a huge phobia of math, I'm terrified of it. When I understand it my homework takes less than 30 minutes (Currently in Intermediate Algebra, the next course is College Algebra) not sure what the difference is. The thing is, when I don't understand it, it could take hours to do it.

Anyway, I just have some questions

1) About how long would it take to be actually working in the field?

2) What are my chances of working specifically in the field, I don't want to major in astrophysics only to end up working at mcdonalds.

3) I'm currently in a junior college looking to transfer next year, what classes should I be focusing on?

4) Should I actually major in Astrophysics or major in something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra is very fundamental to nearly every technical endeavor. There is no career that you can choose in the sciences or engineering or even computer science that will be free of algebra.

The bigger question is after you learn it do you remember it? Can you apply what you know on a test? Can you solve problems with it?

Your phobia is something you must conquer before you can consider any science.

With respect to Astronomy, it is very difficult to get a job in it. Here's a website that gets into the things astronomers do, job prospects and related fields:

http://www.noao.edu/education/being-an-astronomer.php

If you can overcome your fear of math then maybe you should consider computer science after all once you understand math you can let the computer do it :-) and if a mistake is made you can always say the computer did it.

"To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer."

Computers can be used to do astronomical simulations as well as myriad other things and job prospects are much better for programmers.

Lastly, don't just major in one field like comp sci but try to have some backing in another where you can apply your knowledge and/or fall back on when the job situation gets tough.

1. Would this be a proper field worth going into?

This is a common question among aspiring scientists who are considering pursuing a career in a particular field. The answer depends on your personal interests, skills, and goals. It's important to research the current state and future prospects of the field, as well as the potential for job opportunities and career growth. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your passion and dedication to the field.

2. What are the benefits of working in this field?

There are various benefits to working in the field of science, including the opportunity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge and the potential to make a positive impact on society. Additionally, many scientific careers offer job stability, intellectual stimulation, and opportunities for collaboration and networking with other experts in the field.

3. What are the required qualifications for this field?

The qualifications for a career in science vary depending on the specific field and position. However, most science-related jobs require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as biology, chemistry, or physics. Some positions may also require a master's or doctoral degree, as well as specific skills or experience in a particular area of study.

4. What are the potential challenges of working in this field?

As with any career, there are potential challenges that come with working in the field of science. Some common challenges include long hours, high pressure, and a competitive job market. Additionally, the constant need for new research and funding can be stressful. However, for those who are truly passionate about their work, these challenges can be outweighed by the rewards and fulfillment of contributing to scientific discoveries.

5. What are the future prospects for this field?

The future prospects for any field of science can be difficult to predict, as they depend on various factors such as funding, technological advancements, and societal needs. However, overall, the demand for scientific research and innovation is expected to continue to grow, providing promising opportunities for those pursuing a career in science.