Would you pay $23,698,655.93 to read about flies?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, an Amazon seller has listed a book for an outrageous price of $23,698,655.93 plus shipping. Other sellers have also listed it for high prices, possibly hoping for a naive buyer. Some buyers have noticed similar pricing schemes for other books and products. In the conversation, there is also mention of an aircraft carrier being sold for a surprisingly low price and the resale value of the ridiculously priced book. The conversation ends with a joke about eBay still allowing high shipping costs.
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a bit extreme, but I routinely see books that are still in print (and available brand new for the normal list price) being 'offered' by marketplace sellers at 10 times their list price or more. I can't help but think that these sellers are lying in wait for some idiot to buy it by mistake. (All it takes is one.)

Doc Al said:
That's a bit extreme, but I routinely see books that are still in print (and available brand new for the normal list price) being 'offered' by marketplace sellers at 10 times their list price or more. I can't help but think that these sellers are lying in wait for some idiot to buy it by mistake. (All it takes is one.)
You mean I could have got it for $2,369,865.59? I wish I had known that before I bought it.

Jimmy Snyder said:
You mean I could have got it for $2,369,865.59? I wish I had known that before I bought it.
Yeah, I know it sounds like a good deal. But then they stick you with shipping charges. Rip-off!

I guess that I'll wait for the movie.

Jimmy Snyder said:

You can get it for a mere $TEXAS.00 on eBay.

It looks like this is the result of a robot pricing war: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

profnath sets its price to 99% of bordeebook's, and bordeebook sets its price to 127% profnath's. 1.27*0.99 > 1

ideasrule said:
profnath sets its price to 99% of bordeebook's, and bordeebook sets its price to 127% profnath's. 1.27*0.99 > 1

I saw that... it's odd to see such starkly different pricing schemes. They are obviously direct competitors. One seeks to undersell, and the other seeks to oversell.

I noticed something similar in physics books. I sorted by "price:high to low" and got hits well into the 5 digits.

Wow, this is ridiculous.

You can have HMS Ark Royal (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/surface-fleet/aircraft-carriers/hms-ark-royal/ ) for only £10,000,000 ($16,000,000).

Aircraft carrier plus change or book on flies - I know what I'm buying!

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, with a boat, the cost of the boat itself is only the beginning. Then there's dock space rental, time and/or labor cost in keeping barnacles off the hull,...

Pretty soon you're up to the cost of a book about flies.

jtbell said:
Of course, with a boat, the cost of the boat itself is only the beginning. Then there's dock space rental, time and/or labor cost in keeping barnacles off the hull,...

Pretty soon you're up to the cost of a book about flies.

Yeah, but I bet it holds it's resale value somewhat better.

Knock up some miles (both sea and air) with it, make sure there's no noticeable defects and flog it for a profit!

Not to mention the fact you're sailing around on an aircraft carrier (suppose you'd get ribbed for 'compensating for something').

Anyway, back on topic - why would they use such a system? Surely the key is to be the lowest price?

That $3.99 shipping is outrageous!

Don't you love Amazon's offer to buy the book back for $2.34 (at their Textbook Buyback Store)? That doesn't even pay for the shipping! :yuck:

JaredJames said:
Yeah, but I bet it holds it's resale value somewhat better
Actually, I just sold my copy for $47,397,311.86, not bad resale value. When word got out that I had foolishly bought the book, it gained a certain cache. Someone wanted to own the book that was bought by the world's biggest idiot and it seems to me that they got their money's worth and the title to boot. I charged $7.98 for shipping too ha ha.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Actually, I just sold my copy for $47,397,311.86, not bad resale value. When word got out that I had foolishly bought the book, it gained a certain cache. Someone wanted to own the book that was bought by the world's biggest idiot and it seems to me that they got their money's worth and the title to boot. I charged $7.98 for shipping too ha ha.

:rofl:

eBay may have cut down on people boosting prices with extortionate shipping costs, but it's clearly still alive here!

Is there a special edition where you get the actual original flies turned into an artwork by Damien Hirst? That would probably be cheap at $100m.

I don't like flies, that much.

1. What is the significance of the specific amount of $23,698,655.93?

The amount of $23,698,655.93 is likely an exaggerated or arbitrary amount used to emphasize the question and spark curiosity. It is not a realistic or relevant amount when it comes to reading about flies.

2. Why would anyone pay such a large sum of money to read about flies?

In most cases, individuals would not be willing to pay such a large amount for information about flies. However, there may be rare cases where a research institution or organization may be willing to pay for extensive and detailed studies on specific types of flies for scientific purposes.

3. Is there a specific reason for choosing flies as the subject of the reading material?

The choice of flies as the subject may be simply for the sake of the question or to highlight the idea of paying a large amount for seemingly mundane information. However, flies are actually a significant and diverse group of insects that play important roles in various ecosystems and have been studied extensively by scientists.

4. What kind of information would be included in this reading material about flies?

The information included would depend on the purpose and scope of the reading material. It could range from general facts about flies to more in-depth studies on their behavior, ecology, genetics, etc. It may also include information on the impact of flies on human health and agriculture.

5. Is there a more reasonable or accessible way to learn about flies without paying such a large amount?

Yes, there are many free and accessible resources available for learning about flies. These include books, online articles, scientific journals, and even educational videos. Additionally, visiting a local museum or nature center may provide opportunities to learn about flies in a more interactive and engaging way.