1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Is Gravitation by MTW Out of Print?

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,

When I graduated college about 4 years ago I had to, regrettably, sell off many of my math/physics books to pay back my student loans. One of my favorites was Gravitation. For the past few months I have been looking to buy it again, but it looks like all of the major sellers (Amazon, BN, Half.com/Ebay etc.) are out of stock. Even worse, second hand copies are running for close to $300 US!

Does anyone know if there are going to be reprints soon? Even the books' publisher W. H. Freeman doesn't have a website for it anymore.

Thanks!

Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Mar 25, 2016 #3
    Ah, it's been a few days since I checked, but it does at least look like there are now copies for around $200. Still very expensive, though!

5. Mar 25, 2016 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The new copies are all from third-party sellers, not from Amazon itself. They're probably "old stock." If the book were "in print" and available from the publisher, surely Amazon would sell it directly, possibly with a notice "out of stock, more copies coming soon" or something like that.

6. Apr 1, 2016 #5
    I emailed Macmillan, and customersupport@macmillanusa.com replied to me with: "The text Gravitation is no longer being printed . Please let me know if you have any questions."

7. Apr 1, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would be nice if they reprinted it in several volumes. My back can't take it any more.

8. Apr 1, 2016 #7
    Interesting, would be nice if Dover picked this up for reprinting!

9. Apr 2, 2016 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It's a shame that this classic is not in print anymore. If they don't want to reprint it anymore they could and should give up their copyright. Illegal downloads are already online. So why not making those legal?

10. Apr 2, 2016 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Maybe there is a cause and effect relationship here.

11. Apr 2, 2016 #10

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

May be, but I guess that such a book you'd like to have in print and then buy it (at least I still buy a lot of text books even when I can get them as an ebook for free, and even legal via the university subscription).

12. Apr 2, 2016 #11
    Perhaps they are planning a new edition

13. Mar 19, 2017 #12
    The original publisher discontinued printing the book, possibly because after 43 years with many intervening upgrades to their computer systems and mergers of publishing companies they could no longer find/read the files used to print it. A new printing (adding only a new preface and an introduction) will be published by Princeton University Press later this year, 2017.

14. Mar 20, 2017 #13
    Good Information. You can preorder the HC from Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Gravitation-Charles-W-Misner/dp/0691177791

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  15. Mar 20, 2017 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some of the material can be outdated. Is this simply a reprinting of the original content, or is it a 2nd Edition (i.e. partial rewriting) by the (living) authors?

16. Mar 20, 2017 #15
    It is just a reprinting, with a new preface and a current introduction added. No updating of the 1973 text.

17. Mar 20, 2017 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, this is still good enough, because the book - as far as I heard - has some great insights into topics which require a greater level of mathematical maturity from the reader of Wald or Hawking and Ellis.
    So for a hardback edition - usually very pricy - it should be more than worth the money.

18. Mar 20, 2017 #17
    That's great to hear. It'll be nice to be able to honestly recommend the book again. Also, I've had good experiences with Princeton University Press' printings. Also, the price for the new hardcover is less in 2017 dollars the price 2001(ish) dollars for my copy of the paperback!

19. Mar 20, 2017 #18

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

For me it shows $45.38. :)) I don't remember exactly what I paid for my paperback copy during my first year of grad school (1975-76), but it couldn't have been more than about $20, which would be $80 or so in today's dollars. Even $80 would be pretty cheap nowadays.

20. Mar 21, 2017 #19

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I also don't see, in which sense the book should be "outdated" nowadays. Of course, there has been great progress in cosmology since the 1970ies, but General Relativity basically hasn't changed since 1916, and "MTW" is more modern in its mathematical treatment than many other books.

21. Mar 25, 2017 #20
    Thanks for the updates on this - I'll definitely be pre ordering it. Along with Kip Thorne's new book as well!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted