Do you buy used and new books on amazon?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, it seems that people are either very picky about the condition of their books, or they don't mind if they end up with a used book.

Cyrus said:
Is it paperback? Also, what's the quality of the paper it's printed on?

Here's the thing, when you buy the US edition, it really is made in USA. So, you support US paper industry. Also, looking in the cover of my book it says they only buy paper from companies that grow as many trees as they cut down and use acid free paper.

I'm curious what kind of standards the international version has. I don't to save $20 bucks if they are deforesting the amazon.

Paper back.
It's really good (bright white, smooth, and thick) comparative to all NA books I have.

I am going try Abe next (for economics book because I couldn't find it on the Asian site)

Only problem is that there are some laws/thing :(.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

rootX said:
Paper back.
It's really good (bright white, smooth, and thick) comparative to all NA books I have.

I am going try Abe next (for economics book because I couldn't find it on the Asian site)

Only problem is that there are some laws/thing :(.

That seems very expensive for a paperback. Is the USA edition also a paperback?

I've seen international paperbacks selling typically for 10-20 bucks, not 70.

i've bought about 20 books from amazon and every time i have gotten the item as described. amazon is a very reliable site

Moonbear said:
In biology, a lot of things are changing and being updated all the time. The new editions usually do contain new material. But, for this particular course, the changes are in the sections we don't teach. It's an anatomy and physiology text, and we're only teaching the anatomy.

In most courses, I'd be inclined to just assign chapters, but right now, the courses I'm teaching really don't have good texts suitable for the level and material we're covering, so we use what's available and just assign the relevant sections of chapters. I'm actually surprised the one course doesn't have a good textbook...it's a nursing course. You'd think there would be a really good text on anatomy for nursing students by now, but I've been looking around and really haven't found one that's not either baby anatomy (too simple for them) or too advanced for them (i.e., for med students). I'm less surprised that there isn't a good book for the dental students. I think a lot of schools just torture them with the same topics the med students cover. We skip a lot of that since they really don't need it, or only need a really glossed over version.

Comparative anatomy was one of the more interesting courses I took. The teacher must not have thought too much of the books that were on the market, as he wrote his own. The edition we used was his/the 'first', and it was in a spiral binding. Another course that I thought was interesting was histology.

Cyrus said:

I think that's hardcover.

But, just happy with 70 :)

rootX said:
I think that's hardcover.

But, just happy with 70 :)

What? .....you're going to have to retype this so I undestand what you're saying.

oops

Cyrus said:
It's hardcover.

I know those 1$ (@abe). But, I just decided to buy it for 50-60.

Here's mine
https://apexbook.tw/ <-- more reliable even though you need to translate it all (which took me 1 week)
Here's Abe
http://www.abebooks.com/

Last edited by a moderator: