Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Write a paper on ecological patterns

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I've been searching all over the internet and looking through my ecology book to help me write a paper on ecological patterns.

However, I'm not sure what an ecological pattern is. Does anyone have any examples I can work off of?

Thanks,
    Yorkie6

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2
    If you have access to a university library, I would suggest that you start with this classic paper: Hutchinson, G. E. 1953. The concept of pattern in ecology. Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. (Phila) 105:1-12. Also, see the textbook:Eugene Odum : Fundamentals of Ecology, 1971--page 154, where "pattern" is defined as "the structure that results from the distribution of organisms in, and their interaction with, their environment". So, consider these: (1) vertical layering, (2) zonation, (3) activity patterns-periodicity, (4) food-web patterns, (5) reproductive patterns,
    (6) social patterns--herds, flocks, tribes, etc (7) interaction patterns (competition, predation, parasitism, etc., (8) stochastic patterns. Good luck with your report.

4. Feb 15, 2006 #3
    thank you for your help! greatly appreciated :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook