1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write a paper on ecological patterns

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1

I've been searching all over the internet and looking through my ecology book to help me write a paper on ecological patterns.

However, I'm not sure what an ecological pattern is. Does anyone have any examples I can work off of?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2
    If you have access to a university library, I would suggest that you start with this classic paper: Hutchinson, G. E. 1953. The concept of pattern in ecology. Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. (Phila) 105:1-12. Also, see the textbook:Eugene Odum : Fundamentals of Ecology, 1971--page 154, where "pattern" is defined as "the structure that results from the distribution of organisms in, and their interaction with, their environment". So, consider these: (1) vertical layering, (2) zonation, (3) activity patterns-periodicity, (4) food-web patterns, (5) reproductive patterns,
    (6) social patterns--herds, flocks, tribes, etc (7) interaction patterns (competition, predation, parasitism, etc., (8) stochastic patterns. Good luck with your report.
  4. Feb 15, 2006 #3
    thank you for your help! greatly appreciated :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?