1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write down the ground state eigenfunction (and spin) of Helium.

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Already it is on title !!!

2. Relevant equations
    attachents provide the most relevant equations i could find.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found some old books written in 1920 decade ,dealing with this subject,but the solution they provide seems very hard understand,although it might be correct.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...e&q=helium ground state eigenfunction&f=false

i have in my possesion proof of the formula for the expectation energy of helium atom.
    But i dont know if and how could this be related to the ground state eigenfunction.
    i cant really provide more relevant formulas ,but it must be appreciated that this is not an easy problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    In the meantime i have found very important additional information using the textbook of chris foot called atomic physics.
    The total groundstate eigenfunction ψ of helium must be the product of spin part and spatial part i.e

ψ= ψspin ψspatial= (according to this textbook) =( ms) (u1sunl) = (according to tables provided in this book i.e table 2.2 )= {√1/4π}{(z/a)3/2 (2e-p)}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook