Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write this Equation using Mathematica

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have the following equation, and I want to write it using mathematica:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19507&stc=1&d=1246303265.jpg
    where:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=19506&stc=1&d=1246303265.jpg
    and:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=19505&stc=1&d=1246303265.jpg

Where [tex]\Psi[/tex] is the tricomi's confluent hypergeometric function, built-in Mathimatica as HypergeometricU[ , , ].
    Can any one help me, please?
    Thanks in advance
    Best regards

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand. What exactly is the difficulty? It seems straightforward, especially since you already know HypergeometricU.

4. Jun 30, 2009 #3
    Than you DaleSpam for replying. Actually, I took this equation from a paper which plotted it. When I tried to so do, the program gave may little bit different results, so, I thought that I wrote the program incorrectly using Mathematica. But after I posted this thread, I solved the problem, which was a matter of signs and powers.

Sorry for that, and thanks again.

Regards

5. Aug 4, 2009 #4
    how we can find the law of formation of sequence in mathimatica????????????? plzzz help.

6. Aug 4, 2009 #5

Dale

Hi Mike^now, welcome to PF

What does "law of formation of sequence" mean?

7. Aug 9, 2009 #6
    it is a general rule to write a sequence. like 1/2,1/4,1/8/1/16,1/32.... has a general rule (1/2^n. where n = number of term.

8. Aug 9, 2009 #7

Dale

That is not possible to do in general. No matter how many terms you write out, unless you already know the rule, you cannot know the next term.

For example, with the sequence you gave the next number could be 1/32, or the sequence could be cyclic and the next number could be 1/2 again, or it could be a bitshift of a floating point number with 5 bits of precision so that the next term is 0, etc.

9. Aug 13, 2009 #8

Dale

Hmm, apparently they have a function which tries anyway:
    FindSequenceFunction

10. Aug 30, 2009 #9
    This function does not provide general term of sequence ( 4/3,5/4,6/5,7/6.....)

By writting FindSequenceFunction[{1, 4/3, 5/4, 6/5, 7/6, 8/7, 9/8}, n] produce as it is. no result.

even i tried sequence starting from 0 as well as from 1 and still it does not produce any formula of genral term.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  11. Sep 1, 2009 #10

Dale

Well, that does not surprise me. As I said, it is fundamentally an impossible question. It is pretty impressive that it ever works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook