Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,954
- 777
Life finds a way
Of course. But the results are way above my ability to measure zero, so the readings at least are unequivocal at that. And the possibility of contamination by me seems small - the readings are orders of magnitude above what residual water or dissolving the scale on the humidifier should cause. So I think the likely conclusion is that the water isn't well purified and/or is somewhat mixed at the factory. Here's two samples (the temperature scale tells you the central heat never turned on). In the first it ran out of water partway through the night, and there was a noticeable spike in particulate as that happened.Nik_2213 said:I'm sorry, if it was 'proper' distilled water, 'Analytical Grade / AR', there would be no residue per litre-- Within experimental error, of course, of course. And there'd still be no residue from a tonne / IBC of the stuff...
It's just a little harder than average, but yeah.BillTre said:The conclusion would seem to be that your residential water supply (presuming that's your source) is not great for some reason.
Yeah, I haven't decided yet how much I care, but the numbers are:BillTre said:This leaves you with three alternatives:
----------------------------
- just put up with it
- get your own equipment and make better water
- buy better water
Deciding among these requires figuring out how much good water you would need, in order to figure out the costs.
Now that's interesting, I hadn't considered that they could be bought/used separate from an RO system. An RO system starts at about $200 and most are meant for whole-house use. I'm just not there yet. Looking around though, I see point-of-use/in-line (hose connected) DI filters, which are advertised for washing cars without leaving spots. They start at about $25.BillTre said:I guess you could also just get a deionizer column and use that.
I am also guessing that these operate similarly to these water purifying devices you can put on a faucet or pour through to fill a container.
Shouldn't vinegar take care of that? Supposed to clean up coffee makers. Not a huge coffee guy so maybe there's something better for that that I am unaware of. I'm not the guy in the household responsible for the most coffee consumption, therefore I'm not the coffee maker cleaner.Greg Bernhardt said:I used to have one and the cleaning of the caked-on minerals was not fun. Might as well get a chisel out.
russ_watters said:TL;DR Summary: What is the white powder a humidifier emits and is it harmful to breathe?
Ultrasonic humidifiers atomize water and inject it into the air, where it evaporates. Anything dissolved in the water precipitates out as a white powder, which is noticeable as dust on surfaces throughout the room, especially near the humidifier. If the output is high enough, it can even form a visible white cloud throughout the room. Obviously that means we breathe it. So the question is, what is it and is it harmful?
For additional context, I bought a PM2.5 detector (2.5 μm and larger particles) after the wildfires last summer. The results are interesting. (Maybe later we can discuss the hazards of gas cooking and microwave popcorn...). Among the results are poor air quality readings in my bedroom with my combination ultrasonic/evaporative humidifier on. This morning in a test it read 160 μg/m3, which is "unhealthy" According to the WHO. It reads in single digit precision and can read as low as 0-1 if the HVAC has been running a while or I'm using my air purifier. Now, of course not all particles are created equal, and this scale was invented to measure particulate air pollution, which is mainly a nasty carbon soot cocktail. But what about what this humidifier is putting out?
I've done some "research" and the results are thin. Sources mainly just say it's the same stuff as in drinking water, so that means it's fine. Be we all know that drinking and breathing it aren't the same. And it may not even be the same chemical in each case. Note, the EPA says research has not found a risk, but a medical case report claims injury to an infant due to sustained exposure.
My tap-water source is very hard (primarily calcium and magnesium), but I use a softener. I don't have any bags of the salt it uses, but google tells me it's sodium chloride - table salt. The softener uses an ion exchange process that removes calcium and magnesium and leaves the sodium. Does the sodium stay dissolved? Pure sodium metal explosively reacts with water to form sodium hydroxide (NaOH). Does this happen just after the ion exchange? These questions are why I put this in the chemistry forum.
An SDS I found for sodium hydroxide lists an inhalation hazard level of 1 mg/m3. An SDS for sodium metal mentions "metal fume fever" as an inhalation hazard, which doesn't sound good, but they don't list concentration guidelines.
Thoughts?
For now I'm running my hated air purifier when the humidifier is on.
We've used humidifiers before, and we had the same issue. We did use vinegar to dissolve the salts that accumulated on the surface of ultrasonic transducer window.Averagesupernova said:Shouldn't vinegar take care of that? Supposed to clean up coffee makers. Not a huge coffee guy so maybe there's something better for that that I am unaware of. I'm not the guy in the household responsible for the most coffee consumption, therefore I'm not the coffee maker cleaner.
Oh, and, yeah, that didn't work. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it didn't help at all.russ_watters said:Looking around though, I see point-of-use/in-line (hose connected) DI filters, which are advertised for washing cars without leaving spots. They start at about $25.