1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

W's on transcript (withdrawing)

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I'll be applying to mechanical engineering graduate school soon and I have 3 W's on my transcript. They were from my first 2 semesters of school to the new school I transferred to and were mainly the result of bad planning and advising (I switched my major from biomedical engineering to mechanical engineering so I dropped these chemical engineering and biomedical engineering classes because I didn't think they would be useful). I had no idea what a W was at the time really, my school just puts it on your transcript for withdrawing a week after the first day of classes.

Other than that, I have a 3.9 GPA, 2 publications, 3+ years of research experience, and coming from a top 3 engineering school. Does anyone see this being an issue when applying to engineering graduate schools? Even top tier schools like MIT?

Thanks for your time

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't see it being an issue at all. People withdraw from courses for all sorts of reasons. You don't get credit for having taken the class. You don't get penalized for having dropped it.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3
    I do not think this will be an issue.

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The question is, if we tell you that it'll be an issue, what would you do differently?

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5
    I found out I could fill out a petition to the registrar, have a huge meeting with them (kind of like a court meeting), tell them why I don't want W's on my transcript, and then they might take them off.

If anyone said that three W's on a transcript would hinder my chances at going to a top research school and becoming a professor (my dream) then I would definitely go through all that trouble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook