Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WWI and WWII Plane Geeks

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This came to me last night while falling asleep. I just had to see how it looked. Maybe some rainy day, I'll pop by the hobby shop and kit bash it.

[​IMG]

And if anyone wants to see the original...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2006 #2
    Hmm An F86 Bi-plane. You may be on to something here Dave.:smile:

4. Oct 27, 2006 #3
    It reminds me of fruit flys mutated by radiation that come out with two sets of wings.

5. Oct 27, 2006 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Or when they play games with the homeo genes and produce legs growing out of the head.

6. Oct 27, 2006 #5
    Or when zoobies mutate them by mispluralization.

7. Oct 27, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Some things just aren't meant to be. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

That's post WWII. :tongue:

8. Oct 27, 2006 #7
    Anyway, my favorite WWII plane is the beautiful B-17. Actually, it's my all time favorite plane.

[​IMG]

9. Oct 27, 2006 #8

berkeman

Nice job on the image! But pilots would have hated it with a passion. Quiz question -- why?

10. Oct 27, 2006 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For one thing it would have terrible forward visibility.

Let's not even mention drag!

11. Oct 27, 2006 #10

Astronuc

I was going to say the same thing. A pilot couldn't see what's coming at 12 o'clock. To much forward visibility would be compromised. :uhh: I have to wonder if the struts would be strong enough, too.

12. Oct 27, 2006 #11

Astronuc

The B-29 is my favorite 4 engine craft.

For fighters it's hard to pick a favorite, but it would be the P-47 Thunderbolt or P-38 Lightning, but I also like the Supermarine Spitfire and Vought Corsair, and then there is the DeHaviland Mosquito, which is really cool. I'd be happy to fly any of them. :tongue2: :biggrin:

13. Oct 27, 2006 #12

berkeman

14. Oct 27, 2006 #13

Because to land on an aircraft carrier the struts had to be small to take the forces, and yet allow the propellor arc to clear the flight deck. :rolleyes:

I know a guy who flew F-4U's during the war. His name is "Mo-Chance". Gota pic of him in his plane. Ill post it in a bit.

15. Oct 27, 2006 #14

berkeman

Ding ding ding. We have a winnah. BTW, the rest of the explanation that I heard was that the Corsair had an unusually large and powerful engine, and Vaught wanted to use a bigger propeller to take advantage of the extra power. But the landing struts ended up too long for carrier landings as Cyrus says, so that's why they bent the wing roots down.

The whole time I was watching Black Sheep Squadron on TV many years ago, I kept trying to figure out some aerodynamic reason for the bend....never did get it. Until I heard the explanation years later on a documentary show on the Military Channel.

16. Oct 27, 2006 #15

You really did a bang up job fotoshopping there my friend, Fooled me.

17. Oct 27, 2006 #16

Here is a question for you buddy, how did they come up with the folding wings on the Hellcat?

18. Oct 27, 2006 #17

berkeman

That's a trick question. They don't fold.

At least I don't see any images of folded wings or Hellcats on carriers for that matter. But I could be wrong of course....:blushing:

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=hellcat

19. Oct 27, 2006 #18
    Yes, they do fold. Keep searching, though you only have one foot left. :wink: :rofl:

Here's a pic of Mo.

[​IMG]

20. Oct 27, 2006 #19
    [​IMG]

Mo in the bottom F4-U (530).

[​IMG]

21. Oct 27, 2006 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes, those are used for crop dusting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?