XOR of Multiple Bytes - Procedure and Methods

In summary, the conversation is about using the XOR operation to combine multiple bytes. The first person asks if the correct way is to XOR the first and second byte, then XOR the result with the third byte, and so on. The second person responds by stating that an XOR operation can only have 2 operands, but suggests a possible truth table for a 3-bit XOR. They also mention that the result may be different depending on the order of operations. Lastly, they ask for clarification on the purpose of the XOR operation.
temujin
Hi,

Short question,

I have to XOR multiple bytes. Is the right procedure to XOR first and second byte then XOR the result with the third byte and so on?

Or is there a different method?

t.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as I know an XOR operation can only have 2 operands.

Having said that I don't see why you couldn't have an operator with a truth table like so...

a b c 3bitXOR
0 0 0 0
0 0 1 1
0 1 0 1
0 1 1 1
1 0 0 1
1 0 1 1
1 1 0 1
1 1 1 0

And I think that would give you a different result to ((a XOR b) XOR c).

That's probably not helped! I suppose the mechanism to use depends on what you're trying to achive.

a computer will ido a bit by bit XOR prducing a result of the same number of bits as the two operands.. an XOR is a Test or filter , if 101 is XORd with 010 the result is 111..
temujin what are you trying to do ?

1. What is XOR of Multiple Bytes?

The XOR (Exclusive OR) operation is a logical operation performed on two input bits that results in a single output bit. When applied to multiple bytes, XOR of Multiple Bytes refers to the process of performing the XOR operation on each byte in a series of bytes.

2. How is XOR of Multiple Bytes calculated?

XOR of Multiple Bytes is calculated by performing the XOR operation on each byte in the series, starting from the most significant byte and working towards the least significant byte. The result of each XOR operation is then stored as the corresponding byte in the output.

3. What is the purpose of XOR of Multiple Bytes?

XOR of Multiple Bytes is commonly used in cryptography and data security to encrypt and decrypt data. It can also be used for error checking and data integrity verification.

4. What are the advantages of using XOR of Multiple Bytes?

One advantage of using XOR of Multiple Bytes is that it is a simple and efficient operation, making it a popular choice for encryption and data manipulation. It also provides a high level of security, as it is a one-way function that is difficult to reverse or decode without the correct key.

5. Are there any limitations to XOR of Multiple Bytes?

XOR of Multiple Bytes can only be used for data encryption and manipulation if the key used for the XOR operation is kept secret. If the key is known or easily guessed, the security of the data can be compromised. Additionally, XOR of Multiple Bytes does not provide any compression or expansion of data, so the output will always be the same size as the input.