1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Years to an engineering doctorate?

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1
    How many years does it take for one to acquire a doctorate degree in engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2
    Depends how long you spend to earn a doctorate!

4. Jun 11, 2010 #3
    Don't you take some high level courses then do research to make a big discovery and write a long paper on it?

5. Jun 11, 2010 #4
    A doctorate usually takes a year or so of courses, a few qualifying exams to prove you know your stuff, and an indeterminate number of years doing research and writing a small book about it called your thesis. The last part is done when it is done... but in total 4-10 years is probably a good estimate. Think 6-7 years on average.

6. Jun 11, 2010 #5
    A PhD / DPhil is 3-4(sometime longer) years of solid research.

Jim

7. Jun 11, 2010 #6
    Is that 3-4 years starting immediately after the master's degree or the bachelor's degree?

8. Jun 11, 2010 #7
    3 - 4 years from when you start your PhD some people have masters degrees, some go in straight from a bachelors. In the UK funding is usually only for 3 years, so if you go over that you have to fund yourself. The last year is usually used to write up your thesis.

Jim

9. Jun 11, 2010 #8
    I should have pointed out that PhD's vary by country, and I'm from the US. (Looking for some actual statistics, I might have overstated the situation a bit as well... it looks like the median time is more like 5-6 years, not 6-7.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook