Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yo, is there an easy way to just buy matlab?

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but when I go to the mathworks site you have to go through a whole rigamarag to get it...

You have to fill out all this stuff.....

And why the hell aren't trials available for students?

Anyway. Anyone have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2
    I got mine for free :smile: - I am in university.
    Never filled a single form.

4. Jul 23, 2008 #3
    Did your university provide it? Or did mathworks? I go to a university too.

Did you get a copy for your pc? Or was it just on the computers at school?

5. Jul 23, 2008 #4
    University provide us for 15$ or 10$ maybe.

And also, I can make remote desktop connection to the university computers which has matlab, .....

Then there are always illegitimate ways to do anything

6. Jul 23, 2008 #5
    Hmmmmmmm.

7. Jul 23, 2008 #6
  8. Jul 23, 2008 #7
    I love Maxima!
    never used octave because I managed to get matlab

9. Jul 24, 2008 #8
    Trying to stick to the norm. Thanks though :smile:

Anyway. Anyone ever bought this program not through a school?

10. Jul 24, 2008 #9
    You'll be sorry when the rest of us redefine the norm :devil:
    :tongue2:

11. Jul 24, 2008 #10
    If you don't have access to Matlab through your school, then you do have to buy it. I also, at one point, tried to buy Matlab through an online download, and I must agree that it is quite a challenge.

My suggestion would be to save some time and just get it from a computer store.

12. Jul 24, 2008 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I bought it from the Mathworks site at the student price (and I did have to fill out a lot of info, such as the school, etc). Get the boxed set with the CD and the book. Matlab has a decent set of help menus, but the hard version is almost always the way to go.

If your computer dies, will you still know where to find the codes to reinstall the download version you paid for?

(For that matter, do I remember where the CD is? I use the books, but I'd have to search through a few CDs to find original CD. I guess as long as their all in one place, it will get reinstalled along with any other software I'd have to reinstall. I learned how to organize my desk in a geology class. If I can remember the era that I last used something, I can probably refind it.)

13. Jul 24, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

14. Jul 24, 2008 #13
    As if. I'm sorry to say, but when it comes to high-end software, open source will always be largely inferior to commercial.

15. Jul 24, 2008 #14
    mozilla?

16. Jul 24, 2008 #15
    Yeah, sure... :rofl:

17. Jul 24, 2008 #16
    Yeah. This is stupid. Nevermind. When you go to buy it you have to select each and every component separately. Like I know what each one is :rolleyes: And they're like $60 dollars per component.

BobG: How much did you wind up paying for yours?!

18. Jul 25, 2008 #17
    Well, what packages do you need? Do you need to do symbolic math--then get the symbolic toolkit. Image processing? Signal analysis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?